Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 WG Front Brake Oddities

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM
End Loser
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2015 WG Front Brake Oddities

Hey all, just got the bike a couple of weeks ago and noticed a couple of things about the front brakes. They have some weird noises going on and I'd like to hear from other owners if you've experienced the same?

First, when applying the front brakes at speed, I hear this very fast paced clicking noise, I've read others describe it as like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. Yes it's similar to that, but not as pronounced. I asked the service and parts guys and they said it is normal and from the holes in the rotor. The parts guy said he hears it on all the bikes he has ever ridden. I call bullshit on that one, this is the first time I've ever heard that sound on a front brake and I've ridden plenty of bikes and for many years.

Second noise which is intermittent, a very loud pop noise when applying the front brake. This happens when moving at a good pace, or in the garage moving the bike slowly back and forth. Almost sounds like something is bound and popping loose. I loosened the front fender thinking it may be bound up, but it wasn't that because the popping noise was still there. So I'm wondering if I should loosen all the bolts on the tree and re-tighten, or is it maybe a faulty rotor, the front is called a floating rotor, so there are moving parts but I've never heard of a bad front rotor doing this. But maybe it is bent?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for looking.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1) First, it's the drilled rotors.

2) Second, don't know. And neither do you, apparently.

3) Leave it alone.

4) Take it back if it keeps doing it. That's what the warranty is for

5) Mechanics HATE going behind an amateur after he's messed with the bike (or car, or boat, or whatever)

6) Enjoy your new bike

Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 AM
End Loser
Tourer

Originally Posted by Grendel4

3) Leave it alone.

5) Mechanics HATE going behind an amateur after he's messed with the bike (or car, or boat, or whatever)

6) Enjoy your new bike
I've never heard drilled rotors make that sound. I suspect it's the ABS.

I will never leave it alone, and I will try to determine what the pop is before I take it in. If I can't determine, then I will let them figure it out.

I am technically and mechanically inclined enough to wrench on my bike and really don't care if a mechanic HATES me for it. If it's something I can't handle, then yes I will let the experts do the work.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10th post since 2008? Wow, welcome back!

The noise you're hearing is in fact normal. Mine still does it and my Sportster some years back did it too. Both had 21" laced wheels up front and I'm unofficially convinced its more pronounced on those, I don't know why. Maybe something to do with the spokes reflecting the sound.. kinda like blowing compressed air or talking through a spinning fan that chops the sound up, if you know what I mean. Don't let it bother you, it's character!

The pop sounds like the infamous 'Dyna clunk'. There are many threads on that around here which you'd do well to read up on - but my money's on the steering neck bearings that could do with a little tightening.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 AM
End Loser
Tourer

Yeah, was away for a while...as you can see by my posts, I had a sportster back then, sold it back in 2012, bought a Yamaha FZ1, then recently got rid of it and bought the WG. The WG is a really great bike.

Thanks for the Dyna clunk info.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by End Loser
I've never heard drilled rotors make that sound.
Try it on a motorcycle one time.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
End Loser
Tourer

Seriously dude? You're bustin me up AND you gave no relevant information to a question I posted. I was being nice not telling you to GFY in my initial response.

Are you the resident troll, or the master mechanic cool motorcycle rider man that everyone respects?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:27 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know the OP from Adam but it's obvious you're being an *** clown for no reason. His warranty isn't going to resurrect him if his brakes give out at the wrong moment and he ends up dead.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And for the record, I've had drilled rotors on many bikes, including my current Dyna, and I've never heard the noises described by the OP.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

3) Leave it alone.

6) Enjoy your new bike
MINE, AND all the others are floating rotors, that are drilled,, commonly referred to as floating rotors

Quick Reply: 2015 WG Front Brake Oddities