Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone planning to keep the stock pipes on the '14 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 AM
rustang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the nicest exhaust HD has made since the last time they made it, in the 80's.
love how they look, although i haven't heard them.
you can always punch some holes and make things louder.

if anyone in the socal area is looking to part with a set, let me know. i'd love to run one on my '08.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Crustysalmon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a personal thing, pipes and volume.

Just for another perspective: I've got a '14 street bob and had V&H Big Shots staggered put on before delivery. Stage One AC too….

The dealer forgot to order the V&H Quiet baffles so had to ride the bike with standard baffles for a week. Hated it. Real top end "crack" in the sound.

Got the quiet baffles fitted and it changed tone, but not volume - was better. After 2000 miles I've ordered some Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles to install as well as the V&H. See how that goes.

I guess what I'm saying is that in hindsight, I'd keep the stock pipes, save myself $1400 AUD (pipes and se pro tuner) and probably de-cat it after a while.

I want tone/note/sound, not volume and it seems difficult to get the "right" sound (for me) without scaring the neighbours and getting the attention of the police.

I'll see how these new, extra baffles go and if it's still not working, I will probably put the stock system back on..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 AM
My2Harleys
Advanced

Wow, good insight everyone. With this bike I have made the decision NOT to customize anything until I am 100% sure what I want/need. I can see myself changing grips, mirrors, pegs etc but no rush at all. The pipes were the first thing I thought Id change but slowly starting to think "wait, lets see". I have a super loud Sporty and Softail Deuce so I want more of a low "rumble" but maybe the stock pipes will grow on me (they are starting to).

Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,171 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by sengle4
I have a 14 lowrider with the stock exhaust system.....3k miles on it. I recently de-catted the header pipe which helped the sound level quite a bit. Also, as with most stock HD mufflers, it has gotten more mellow sound wise with more miles. Forgot to add.....I installed a set of VIED 10's after I de-catted it. Think I will run the stock system for now.
How does your bike run with the de catted header?
Did you change the air filter also? if I could get just a bit more pep from the motor by de catting and another air filter, and stay with the FL-VIED, would be happy with stock, not to mention money ahead.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 PM
sengle4
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
How does your bike run with the de catted header?
Did you change the air filter also? if I could get just a bit more pep from the motor by de catting and another air filter, and stay with the FL-VIED, would be happy with stock, not to mention money ahead.
No, I didn't change the air filter. The engine has a little more pep but the biggest plus is that it runs so much cooler. Before I decatted it, the bike would constantly go into parade mode at stoplights etc. and now it only occaisionally does. Also, as I mentioned, the exhaust sounds better.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 AM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Mind sharing how you de-catted? Did you cut open/dig it out/weld it back up, bore it out from end, buy de-catted replacements or some other method? What method(s) would you recommend?

Originally Posted by sengle4
No, I didn't change the air filter. The engine has a little more pep but the biggest plus is that it runs so much cooler. Before I decatted it, the bike would constantly go into parade mode at stoplights etc. and now it only occaisionally does. Also, as I mentioned, the exhaust sounds better.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM
sengle4
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rednred
Mind sharing how you de-catted? Did you cut open/dig it out/weld it back up, bore it out from end, buy de-catted replacements or some other method? What method(s) would you recommend?
I used the "trap door" method and cut an approx. 3" by 5" area out on the inside of the collector then dug out the cat material with a screwdriver and chisel. Slow, nasty work but only took an hour or so. Wear a face mask because I don't think that stuff should be breathed. I had the trap door welded up after that. All in all, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.