Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Voids Engine Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Could the dealer "flag" op's bike in the HD database and blacklist it for future warranty issues?
To me this sounds like dealer blackmail. "Buy a tuner or else"..lol.

Not sure how HD warranty works but Im a tech at a Chrysler dealer and we can put a flag against the VIN in case the customer decides to dealer shop a warranty repair. This is a real big issues with Cummins Diesels.

A lot of people will try to preach the Magnuson-Moss act but usually cant afford the lawyer power to fight it.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RussH
A lot of people will try to preach the Magnuson-Moss act but usually cant afford the lawyer power to fight it.
My point exactly a few posts back..

So say they just stand there behind the counter telling you that you voided your warranty and
now you're screwed...

Hired a lawyer recently? They start at about $100 an hour for a really cheesy ambulance-chaser and
they'll charge you $1 a page to xerox anything, $50 to send a registered letter that they just had
notarized for another $50.. apply, repeat, apply, repeat until you're broke..

The stealership knows this game is rigged in their favor.

You should open a customer complaint with Harley's home office, (there's a formal procedure), and get
100% clarification from HD on the issue. I think you'll find that HD will NOT, repeat, NOT, stand behind
dealer-installed after-market modifications, but will still (reluctantly) warranty completely unrelated issues.

I.e. if you burn a valve using after-market exhaust systems, they may tell say you screwed yourself,
but if the headlight shorts, they'll probably take care of it.

Your choice from here on out.. but just understand the position you may find yourself in.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

put your pipes on, tell that dealer to **** off and find a new dealer.... also contact the MOCO customer service and tell them of your experience ... nuff said.... its ridiculous...

Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Horrell;13344994]

I.e. if you burn a valve using after-market exhaust systems, they may tell say you screwed yourself,

QUOTE]

x 2 !!!

Because you are having an "incomplete" package installed they won't want to warranty something resulting in damage from this. They want something in writing that proves they did "due diligence" in advising you on the situation. I was a service advisor for a local automotive dealer before and it was pounded into us to document everything ALL THE TIME. That way when the customer's vehicle fails to stop, they can't come back and sue the dealership since they were advised that their brakes were not good.
If you do have an aftermarket tuner installed they will most likely claim they don't know that it is good, working properly, etc. If you have confidence in no tuner, or an aftermarket tuner you should be just fine.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by farmer65
Long story short I purchased a new 2014 wide glide 2 weeks ago at a dealer. When you buy a bike from them they offer free shop labor at the time of purchase. I had a few things put on, then i picked out vance-hines big shots with quit baffles and stay with stock air cleaner. Thats when they tell me i have to install a harley tuner or they will not cover engine warranty and i would have to sign papers stating that. I think there nuts.
I assume they're talking about the Dealer Download, so......

1) Brother, what were you thinking? Going to the Dealer to have aftermarket anything put on while your bike is still under warranty?

2) You can win the battle and lose the War, if you know what I mean, so....

3) Get the pipes you want, have them put on the Stage I A/C and let them do the dealer download.

Get used to hearing cracking and popping. I did. I love it.

Love it. Sounds like a P-47 coming in for a landing

I also don't regret doing exactly what I told you -- A/C, pipes and dealer download.

Runs good enough for me. If I wanted to go fast, I'd buy a cheap motorcycle and a big helmet. You can put $10,000 in your engine and still get your handlebars sucked off by a 600cc Honda. So what's the point?

Enjoy your bike.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Grendel4
Banned

[QUOTE=BigDogIdaho;13345075][QUOTE=Mike Horrell;13344994]

x 2 !!!

Because you are having an "incomplete" package installed they won't want to warranty something resulting in damage from this. They want something in writing that proves they did "due diligence" in advising you on the situation. I was a service advisor for a local automotive dealer before and it was pounded into us to document everything ALL THE TIME. That way when the customer's vehicle fails to stop, they can't come back and sue the dealership since they were advised that their brakes were not good.

If you do have an aftermarket tuner installed they will most likely claim they don't know that it is good, working properly, etc. If you have confidence in no tuner, or an aftermarket tuner you should be just fine.
I never could understand the mindset of dealers who pull **** like this.

First, unless there is out and out fraud, the MoCo is never going to know what parts are, or aren't, on a bike.

Second, when the dealer denies a warranty claim -- He's sending away business! How stupid is that?!!

Any dealer stupid enough to believe that an individual is still going to do business with them after they turn him away on a warranty issue deserves to go out of business.

And, IMO, that is one Harley's biggest problems -- Stupid dealers who turn customers off.

And pissed-off customers let their friends, family, neighbors and anyone who will listen know exactly how pissed off they are.

Harley needs to get a handle on their dealers.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=Grendel4;13345179][QUOTE=BigDogIdaho;13345075]
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell

I never could understand the mindset of dealers who pull **** like this.

First, unless there is out and out fraud, the MoCo is never going to know what parts are, or aren't, on a bike.

Second, when the dealer denies a warranty claim -- He's sending away business! How stupid is that?!!

Any dealer stupid enough to believe that an individual is still going to do business with them after they turn him away on a warranty issue deserves to go out of business.

And, IMO, that is one Harley's biggest problems -- Stupid dealers who turn customers off.

And pissed-off customers let their friends, family, neighbors and anyone who will listen know exactly how pissed off they are.

Harley needs to get a handle on their dealers.

If a dealer does or does not install something, there is record of this. I can call my local dealer right now and they can look up what has been installed on my bike. These records can be accessed by all dealers and the MoCo. They do this to help with a nationwide warranty. If this didn't take place it would be very difficult for your warranty to be any good anywhere besides at your local dealer. So yes, they will know.

If a dealer does work for a "warranty claim" that is denied by the MoCo they do not get paid for it. They would be doing work and buying parts that they would not be getting reimbursed for. Not a good way to do business.

Yes upset customers tell on average 10 people. The funny thing is a happy customer on average tells 1 person.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 10-22-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho

Yes upset customers tell on average 10 people. The funny thing is a happy customer on average tells 1 person.
That's precisely why I made it a point to post in the "Good Dealers" thread, and give props to my local dealer, who is terrific.

We should all do the same! Spread the word on the good guys!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
That's precisely why I made it a point to post in the "Good Dealers" thread, and give props to my local dealer, who is terrific.

We should all do the same! Spread the word on the good guys!

Good point brother!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Grendel4
Banned

[QUOTE=BigDogIdaho;13345235][QUOTE=Grendel4;13345179]
Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho

If a dealer does or does not install something, there is record of this. I can call my local dealer right now and they can look up what has been installed on my bike. These records can be accessed by all dealers and the MoCo. They do this to help with a nationwide warranty. If this didn't take place it would be very difficult for your warranty to be any good anywhere besides at your local dealer. So yes, they will know.

If a dealer does work for a "warranty claim" that is denied by the MoCo they do not get paid for it. They would be doing work and buying parts that they would not be getting reimbursed for. Not a good way to do business.

I know a few Service Writers and I can't think of one time the Manufacturer denied a claim on work that the dealer approved.

What's happening is; Dealers are denying warranty claims out of hand, without even consulting the MoCo.

The question should be; "Why are some Dealers this incredibly stupid?"

And please explain to me how an exhaust system can affect a new Harley Engine in any way?

It can't. It just simply can't do it. I can present you with 10 Mechanical Engineers specializing in Fluid Dynamics that will laugh in your face if you try to tell me a reasonably well-designed exhaust system (with no engine camshaft overlap) can affect how a newer Harley engine runs.

And since Andrew Hines is Harley's reigning Pro Stock motorcycle-winning Driver, and since Vance and Hines spends a good deal of time hanging out in Harley's Engineering department......

I would suspect that V&H probably know how to design exhaust systems that won't cause Harley engines to self-detonate

Dealers and mechanics can be dumb as a box of freaking rocks sometimes. Honestly

Quick Reply: Dealer Voids Engine Warranty