Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Angry Lucky?

Or, how I dodged a bullet...

On my way to work yesterday on the worst road on my route. There is a lot of traffic turning in and out of businesses and folks just going fast with their heads up their royal asses...One of the most dangerous spots is because lots of impatient cagers are running fast down the center turn lane to make a left turn at the light instead of staying in traffic and moving into the turn lane to make their turn like they are supposed to do...and like I always do.

Anyway, yesterday morning, I was moving into the left turn lane at the light to turn when BAM! Some cager in a brand new Jeep SUV of some kind side swipes me big time. Seems he is running fast and hard down the turn lane way before the left turn light and I saw him at the very last second and swerved back into the left lane. He hit my left side and totally trashed my engine guard, and grazed my left leg and shoulder. I was able to keep it upright in control and was able to stop in the turn lane. After collecting my senses and counting my fingers and toes, I pulled over into a parking lot beside him. He got out and checked his precious Jeep and I went off on him big time...I think the F-bomb and statements questioning his intelligence were the words that kept coming out of my mouth. He admitted he didn't see me moving into the turn lane even with my bright blinkers. He apologized and kept asking if I was alright and how glad he was that I wasn't hurt while at the same time whining about the damage to his Jeep...there was a big rake and crease down the right doors. The local sheriff deputy who was in the line of traffic pulled in and asked me to step away (I was really pissed off) while he talked to the guy. The guy got a ticket for improper use of the turn lane and speeding and when I pushed for an accident report, the deputy coldly tells me that if he has to make out a report, I was going to get a ticket also for an unsafe lane change because he didn't see the accident and did not know where I was when I was hit and it looked like I could have been running down the center lane also...Hard as it was, and not wanting to go down that road and take a hit on my driving record and insurance, I let it go with the satisfaction that I was out a $150 engine guard (I have another one in the garage) and this guy was out a few thousand in damage to his shiny new Jeep.

I got a small bruise on my left knee and my shoulder is shore and this is what my engine guard looked like...

Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield...

Last edited by skinman13; 10-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I'd have took the ticket, made a full report, got the aholes insurance then gone to the nearest hospital with an attorney ;
"My neck Hurts"

Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

double tickets would mean no fault...the deputy made that clear when he coldly told me that he didn't see the accident nor who ran into whom...I quickly realized that there was no way I would win that one in court even if I could find a lawyer to take the case. Hell, even the cost of replacing my engine guard was less than the $250 deductible on my insurance. This is one that I was lucky to ride away from so there was no use pushing it with a hostile county sheriff's deputy.

Like I said, some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield...

Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM
shovelheadroad
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any crash you can walk away from is one in the win column.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 AM
sengle4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent engine guard

Just a suggestion......make sure your frame isn't bent which is common when an engine guard is bent like that. I am glad you are OK.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:09 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you're ok. I agree that you should have the frame checked.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow. Many people think blind spot mirrors don't look cool. Haven't been without them on any of my vehicles (including bikes) since the 80s. Not saying that would have prevented the accident. But, they sure make driving better for me.
Glad you're OK.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa man...glad you're okay!

If it was me, I would have gladly accepted the ticket because it would be easy to fight in court since the officer did not see your exact position in the lane and his vision of you was obstructed. How can you be ticketed for something that is an assumption rather than a fact? Easy win.

You may be bumped and bruised now but more pain may develop and you could learn that your injury is more severe than you thought. The police report may come in handy if something does come up later.

Again, glad to hear you're alright and the damage to your bike was minimal.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

No doubt the glancing impact on your engine guard pushed you away from possibly a more horrific accident. If it wasn`t there, pegs, leg, and more would have made contact, most likely resulting in alot more damage and pain. Engine guards work, period! Glad you are okay. That is what is most important.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Hell, even the cost of replacing my engine guard was less than the $250 deductible on my insurance.
That really sucks man. I have a chrome engine guard and mounting hardware just sitting in my shop. It came on my bike but I took it off. If you're interested, I'll sell it to ya cheap plus the cost of shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lucky?