Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short guys, air cleaners that get out of the way of your knee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm 5 6" riding a Fat Bob with forwards. The stock cleaner was against my knee, drove me nuts, went to the heavy breather, problem solved!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM
LIMITLESS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
The DK Customs Outlaw 636V (middle one in the picture above) moves is out of the way as well. Gives me plenty of room and I am 5' 8". I couldn't get on with the stock one myself.
Just put this same one on my WG yesterday. Stock housing wasn't in the way too much, but it was an annoyance. I'm 5' 10" and with the 636v I have more than enough clearance now....plus it looks badass!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Rahjerz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'8" and found the forward controls on my 2007 FXDWG a little bit of a reach. I installed the reduced reach kit ( which brings the controls back about an inch and out about an inch. This spreads your legs out a little bit giving you more room on the air cleaner and horn. I'm running a S&S air cleaner. The HD part number is 50700005.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM
103bob
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you aren't worried about dropping some coin Roland Sands makes the Slant air cleaner specifically cut for knee clearance. Also Performance machines has a lo-pro air cleaner

RSD Slant
http://www.rolandsands.com/products/...it-carbon-ops-

Performance Machine MAXHP
http://www.performancemachine.com/mo...rs/MAX-HP.aspx

Last edited by 103bob; 10-26-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added links
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 PM
big stick
Novice

I went with a Joker Machine AC on my Fatbob after trying a couple of different makes..Joker Machine was the one......

Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMITLESS
Just put this same one on my WG yesterday. Stock housing wasn't in the way too much, but it was an annoyance. I'm 5' 10" and with the 636v I have more than enough clearance now....plus it looks badass!
That looks great. I'm biased though.

One question - looks like you went with the breather bolts. I did the kit with the tubes down to a filter, but I much prefer the look of the straight bolt breathers. So - are you getting any oil spew from them? I think I might just go to the bolts as they look better. I can probably wipe off any oil....

Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by adm

One question - looks like you went with the breather bolts. I did the kit with the tubes down to a filter, but I much prefer the look of the straight bolt breathers. So - are you getting any oil spew from them? I think I might just go to the bolts as they look better. I can probably wipe off any oil....
It will be good to hear what LIMITELSS has been experiencing. But whether he is or is not will not be an accurate filter know if yours will or won't.

There are things one can do to limit how much oil carry over there is (see link below) but on the Twin Cams (especially the 103's) there is such a margin in HD MFG tolerances and so much variation in how each person rides, it is just not possible to know if the Breather Bolts will spray any significant oil or not, without actually trying them.

This does NOT hold true for Sportsters or the TC 88's and most TC 96's. Those will not put out any significant oil if the bike not in need of repair.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...f-my-bike.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 PM
JetCT_Rider
Novice

I'm 6'2" with FWD controls on my Dyna...I need a thin disk type air cleaner that breathes very well to add....any body can share what they have would help.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 AM
Ernst
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Outlaw 587 on my bike with the breather bolts. It's nice and low profile so my knee isn't riding on it. I have the 103 as well and I've never had a problem with oil spray from the breathers (and I ride it like I stole it).

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
LIMITLESS
Advanced

Originally Posted by adm

Thanks. Nothing as of yet, however I only have only put about 40 miles on the bike since throwing this AC on. I prefer the look of the bolts too, but will go the full breather set-up if need be. I just figured I would start with bolts and see what happens. From what I've read, it seems some people get a little oil and some get a lot.

Quick Reply: Short guys, air cleaners that get out of the way of your knee?