Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC Heavy Breather Oil leaking Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM
racer11
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tstroud,,,,

Now that the temps are going down I have noticed the water condensation mix in my inline filter as well. After a ride I pulled the filter off and some watery goop came out of the filter. I just sprayed some carb cleaner thru the filter followed by a shot of air and the filter was good to go. Filter cost me couple of bucks at o'riley.

All that junk was soaking up in my filter and or going down in the combustion chamber for the last 28K miles. I looked in the cyl with a fiber optic and the tops of the pistons were not bad at all. I think the filter soaked up most of the bad stuff.

Interestingly I looked at my Log Splitter and it was vented the same way in to the combustion chamber and that was a Briggs n Stratton engine. I fixed it the same way as I did on my Harley.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 AM
fxdc_9613
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stover, couple questions for you. Did you buy the catch can or fashion it yourself? if so, how? When you tapped into the backplate, did you just make a hole small enough for the breather tube to fit through? stock breather bolts?

I like the cleanliness of your setup and would like to try and do something similar on mine when i do the stage 1 upgrade.

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Copied and pasted my solution from one of the many threads about crankcase breather venting.

This is what I came up with after being unable to find any system that would work with a SE stage one backplate, I went with dual hoses parallel to bottom of rocker box covers then down to hidden catch can in cowbell. Marine shrink wrap over fittings tapped into backplate really cleaned it up.

This is why. I didn't have a lot of oil drippng, But enough to make a mess on cam cover,pipes,side cover,and front of saddle bags if I didn't clean the filter every week or so. It looks like this because the moisture and oil are being shaken like a paint mixer in the cowbell. Glad this gunk isn't going in my intake.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought it online from a GoKart racing parts guy. (Can't remember who atm)Turned it upside down and drilled/tapped two more 90's in it. Filled the tubes in the backplate going into throttle body with JB weld first, (Let it harden overnight)then drilled and tapped 1/8 NPT brass fittings, The drilled holes intersect the angled tubes. Then used a coupler then a barbed 90*with 1/4" fuel line. to be able to tighten them by the angled part.Also JB welded them into the Alum Backplate for a permanant seal. Used a round file to clean up inside where bolts go. I'll see if I can find that Kart part info.The bracket is from Lowe's its an electrical hanger. and a 1/4" fender washer fit the hole in the cowbell perfect. One more tip, Black spraypaint looks like crap on brass thats why I used the Marine shrinkwrap.

Here's a link to an old thread with the part co. And a few more pics as well as some of my trial and error method of modifications

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-pressure.html

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 10-30-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more info