Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC Heavy Breather Oil leaking Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 AM
IornStreetBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Heavy Breather Oil leaking Question

Hey guys i Have an SE Heavy breather on my 14 SB and i know the filter will leak oil out of the breather bolts from the heads. my question is how often do those have oil come out i dont think ive ever seen oil come out of those and ive had it one like 2 3 months now. should i be worried? i just had the 1k service done and mechanics said everything was fine. so just thought id ask

Old 10-25-2014, 05:17 AM
darkhdshadow
Cruiser

10,000 miles on mine, and no leaks.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 AM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IornStreetBob
Hey guys i Have an SE Heavy breather on my 14 SB and i know the filter will leak oil out of the breather bolts from the heads. my question is how often do those have oil come out i dont think ive ever seen oil come out of those and ive had it one like 2 3 months now. should i be worried? i just had the 1k service done and mechanics said everything was fine. so just thought id ask
It could be that your rings have not seated. If it continues, it will indicate a problem.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Only two things, or a combination of the two willl cause oil to puke out of those breathers. The most common reason is if a guy is going hard at the throttle all the time which carries lots more oil to the heads which only returns to the pan due to gravity, therefor building up and spewing out into your filter - or if there is too much oil in the pan itself. Most guys who ride hard will keep their oil level about half way up the stick to try and control that.

The most remote reason could be your drain holes which allow for oil to return to the pan by way of gravity are blocked, but if that were true there would be lots of oil spiting out even while riding normally.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:14 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I read that you just had your 1k service. The tech may have added too much oil. I had that problem on my 02 and I dropped the oil level to about 3/4 full and that fixed the problem. My 2 cents,

Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
bullast
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info. Now I need to go check my oil.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 PM
racer11
Advanced

I recently re routed by breather tube hose on my 00 FXDWG to a small engine clear plastic inline fuel filter and hid it in behind the air cleaner element. I can easily check for any oil residue that collects in it and clean it easily as well.

Last weekend I changed the engine oil and filled it up to the full mark on the dip stick,,,, I knew better but I did it,,, I went for a ride with my riding buddy and when I got back I checked the filter and it had oily crap in it. I cleaned it and removed about 6 ounces of oil,, after taking a ride today I found the filter to not have any oily residue in it. Problem solved.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 AM
IornStreetBob
Advanced

Thanks guys don't check the form all that often so sorry for the late replies. So I read all of these and I'm still on the fence should I be worried or just blow it off? I don't think the oil is over filled and I don't ride to hard get into my throttle but not like red lining every gear. I guess I'll just see what happens and monitor it

Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IornStreetBob
Thanks guys don't check the form all that often so sorry for the late replies. So I read all of these and I'm still on the fence should I be worried or just blow it off?
When I first read your post I thought you were concerned about oil leaking. Now I read closer and see you're worried because its NOT leaking. Wow, I think you should be more than worried, you should SELL that bike immediately! Harley's that DON'T leak are a danger and a real menace to society.

It probably means it's about to blowup and cause a catastrophe like taking out a basket of kittens that was for sale on the side of the road. Good thing you caught while there's still time to sell it to some sucker on Fleabay. Or, you may be able to sue the dealer: "Hey, what's the deal, you sold me a Harley that doesn't leak!"

Old 10-26-2014, 11:59 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

no do not worry! I thought you would understand from my post but your ride is in no danger.

Quick Reply: SC Heavy Breather Oil leaking Question