Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:47 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best paint

what is the best spray paint to rattle can my accessories on my bike like the battery cover or other Chrome parts I want black but don't want to spend money on powder

Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

use plasti-dip, it's durable and it can peel off later if needed, it's kind of tricking to get even though, using light coats will give you a rough/ matte but even finish..

or an automotive paint like dupli-color with clear on top will give you a glossy finish.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a matte/wrinkle type finish I'd take the advice above and use plasti-dip. If you want the gloss/semi gloss I've had good results with the Dupli-Color brand from Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc. Our Autozone has a huge selection with at least 4 or 5 different blacks and you can also get the clear coat there too. Just take your time and do it right and it should come out nice.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a powercoat gun and harborfrieght for $49 and some powder at eastwood. Used an old toaster oven and have PC'd my own stuff since. I'm limited by the tiny toaster oven and plan on getting something bigger one day.

Something to think about. You can see how to powder by watching some youtube videos and practice on some useless parts.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
use plasti-dip, it's durable and it can peel off later if needed, it's kind of tricking to get even though, using light coats will give you a rough/ matte but even finish..

I used Plasti-Dip once, and only once. My opinion is completely opposite of yours. I found the application to be idiot proof in achieving a perfectly smooth & even finish. I also find the finish extremely fragile. Like you said, it peels right off. Bump, nick or drag anything against it and the product comes right off, making it extremely fragile IMO.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

If you are going to spray chrome, make sure you use etching primer first, after you have roughed up the surface.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

just sand the parts with 320 grit paper, and you must use a good self etching primer like dupli-color. than you can paint it flat black and if it's not the look you want. just clear the parts with a good non-yellowing clearcoat and you will have a nice finish.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just use this first. Do not let it dry. You want it kinda sticky when applying your color whether it be plastic dip or what. The plastic dip will stick good to chrome whith this:

Or you can use rhino bed liner in either a car or have it done. It won't come off then.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by apetterez
what is the best spray paint to rattle can my accessories on my bike like the battery cover or other Chrome parts I want black but don't want to spend money on powder
Cheap and good (actually the best) for black is appliance epoxy from the hardware store. It's technically enamel but hardens quite hard. the advantage of enamel of course is no catalyst, east to spray and inexpensive. OH, easy to clean or strip later too.
Follow the directions on the can. Light coats at first.
It looks like powder if you do it right.
edit: for a low gloss, just rub it with a rag before it hardens completely.

Last edited by fxdlx; 10-27-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: best paint