Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soreness after installing T-Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

T-bars were originally designed to have a completely original look, and not look like anything else out there.

Can you get used to them? Sure. But, keep in mind, T-bars are for looks, not comfort.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
I've ridden a bike with t-bars before and it quickly became apparent to me there are problems inherent with this setup. The main problem is that t-bars are extremely rigid and simply don't allow any kind of flex to help dissipate vibes. Instead, they transmit every little wiggle directly to the rider and just absorb all the movement.

But being a glutton for punishment and because I like the look, I decided to let my heart overrule my head and install a new set of West Coast t-bars on my current Dyna. Predictably, I immediately got the same problems I had before. The vibration is so bad it's slowly shaking all the parts mounted to the bars loose. In the middle of a ride on the highway today, my R/H mirror shook loose and rotated right back toward me. It happened fast and I didn't notice it until I needed to use the brake and suddenly found my glove momentarily tangled with the damn mirror! I quickly pushed it out of the way and braked, but that delay almost cost me. After pulling over I discovered other components working their way loose as well. The bars are so rigid I felt like I had the throttle control of a drunk guy with tremors or something when going over a rough patch of road. After talking it over with the dealer, one of the mechanics told me they've had similar complaints with t-bars on Dyna's. I've had bikes with apes and never had any problems like that, but with t-bars there are no risers, and the bars are just basically bolted directly on. Vibe city.

Sure, t-bars look cool, but mine are coming off before the next ride. The first time I tried them I thought the problems were a fluke, but now I'm convinced they're just not a good design for a motorcycle already prone to significant vibration.
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
T-bars were originally designed to have a completely original look, and not look like anything else out there.

Can you get used to them? Sure. But, keep in mind, T-bars are for looks, not comfort.

DM, Idaho, & OP: Keep in mind, just because something doesn't fit one person, doesn't mean it won't fit someone else.

I've had 12" t-bars on my bike for 30,000 miles now. No vibration problems at all with them. Yes, they bolt directly to the trees, but so did the tall risers I had on the drag bars I used to run. I run them with the stock bushings, not the poly type, and they work fine.

As for as comfort, they're the most comfortable bars I've ever had, but perhaps that's just the way I'm put together. I'm 5'11" with long arms, and they work perfectly. I had run drag bars on 6" risers since the late '80's and wanted more height as I got older. These things work great.

I average 10,000 miles a year, do an 800 mile in a day ride once a year, and take a couple of tours. When I ride on the weekends, it's usually 80 to 250 miles. Once again, really comfortable, and I'm an old dude.

I like them so much, I don't know what I'm going to do with them this winter when put an FL front end on my dyna. I really like the riding position, but I don't think they'll work well visually with an FL front end.

Well, I guess the bottom line in all this insomnia induced rambling is to find what works for you, and don't make assumptions.

Good Luck

Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I had them with my fxr it had an flh front end . You can keep the t bars...

Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

My guess is like what some others have said that it was just the wind, you gripping too tight, etc. 1 day my wife and I went for a ride about 4 hours away. On the way back my neck was sore I couldn't turn it either direction. It got me scared. It felt messed up for about 3 days after that. I had done several longer rides before that time and a ton since then. No problems. No change in the set up either. There was a bad wind blowing and I felt like I had to grip more. I say give it a little more time, take something for the pain that will help your muscles relax a bit too. If you aren't good to go in a few more days then hit up the doc. I'm sure getting sick didn't help things either.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

On my sporty I went from stock to 8 risers + drag bars and than to 10" risers and V-rod bars - was super comfy.
When I got dyna, MX WCTB 10" just killed my shoulders in 2 days and 300 miles. I put 2" extensions - comfy again and great in twisties
I'd like to try protapers + FB risers, but since current setup works so well - not right now

Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
DM, Idaho, & OP: Keep in mind, just because something doesn't fit one person, doesn't mean it won't fit someone else.
I get that. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him my experience.

I fully expected to love my t-bars and was surprised I reacted so negatively to them. Bottom line is that I just found them extremely stiff and unforgiving. It also didn't help that the mechanic that did the work set the throttle up super twitchy, which was a horrible combination with this setup.

I know they work well for other people.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
I get that. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him my experience.

I fully expected to love my t-bars and was surprised I reacted so negatively to them. Bottom line is that I just found them extremely stiff and unforgiving. It also didn't help that the mechanic that did the work set the throttle up super twitchy, which was a horrible combination with this setup.

I know they work well for other people.
Sounds good. I didn't mean for my reply to sound like an argument. The more I think about it the more I think the OP may not "get used to them." He may just have the same experience that you did. It took me all of about two minutes to get used to mine. They just fit right off the bat. I didn't have to do any adjusting at all.

It always amazes me how something on a bike can fit one person so poorly and the next person so well.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

See a doctor- it's you.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

you dont need to see a doctor that is rediculous

i actually like the feel of smaller grips but i have proven to my self a few times that my hands dont like them. my hands will start to cramp

i also dont like strait bars or t bars, i like the look but i need some curve in the bars or else i get a wierd pinch feeling in my upper back

a few of my bros swear by corbin seats and say they dont want anything else, so my dumd *** tried one and it was terrible and twisted my hip all into a ****ed up position

just because something is comfortable to someone else doesnt mean it will be comfortable to you

i have put down a lot of miles over the years on dynas and fxr's and to me the most comfortable i have ever been is with flat (non-bucket) seat, mids, flat track bars in neutral to slightly forward postion and i always twist the bars down so i get more bend in my wrist and it moves my elbows closer to my rib cage

Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM
SFXDB415
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love my wcmxtb 10". you're getting used to it probably. .i don't get any pain or soreness after a day of riding. i will switch to 12" slingshots to get a little more splitting clearance but the mx are comfy.

Quick Reply: Soreness after installing T-Bars