Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soreness after installing T-Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soreness after installing T-Bars

I Installed the Drag Specialties T-Bars on my 2014 on my street Bob last week just before going to Biketoberfest in Daytona. While we were there, I installed Avon grips on them, and kept riding the whole day. The avon grips are a bit thinner than the stock ones, which I found different, but didn't worry about it. Never felt sore or numb while riding the bike. I live in Orlando, so it's about an hour and a half ride, but we rode a lot that day. 2 or 3 days later, my hands, forearms, calfs and above my knees were all sore, and i had gotten a cold. But the cold went away, but the soreness of legs and hands continued, and as I am writing this, I had just bought a wrist brace, and it's hard to close my hand into a fist hard, and it feels really sore, like i've worked out my hands and it's hard to grip things and such....

Any of you guys had the same problem? Could it be the t-bars? or grips? This was the first trip on my FXDB but I had already put 1200 miles on her, and think it's a very comfortable bike.

thoughts?

**EDIT** I am 27, so I hope arthritis is not the issue, I am a tattoo artist and need my hands lol

Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What was your previous set-up? Stock mini-apes?

Running any kind of wind protection? May have just been hanging on too tight to the new set-up leaving your hands and arms fatigued.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not uncommon to feel fatigue after switching bars and changing your arm positioning. Go fire that bike up and ride it, you'll build the right muscles and get used to it. Solution.... Keep riding it

Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 PM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

I had the stock mini apes on it.... right now i can't even hold down the shift, feels like i have worked out like a bodybuilder, but as soon as i can get my hand fine ahain ill ride, and try to get used to it, i just don't want to get rid of the bars, i love the look and feel really comfortable with it!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 PM
usmc1371
6th Gear

i rode 6 hours to daytona for biketoberfest with my streetbob, 8 inch t bars, solid metal grips. no problem. just give your body time to adjust

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Are you sure it's the new bars and not something else medically..?? Might want to get some blood-work done to rule out something on the health-side...JMO.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 PM
DynaGlider27
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same setup

Go to doctor bro. I have the same setup, but with the Arlen ness grips. Never been that sore ever. I rode a 02 sporty with that setup, and never had that problem even on long runs, and nothing like that on the 99 FXDX with 13's on it. Let us know what he tells you.(walking pneumonia)

Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

I've ridden a bike with t-bars before and it quickly became apparent to me there are problems inherent with this setup. The main problem is that t-bars are extremely rigid and simply don't allow any kind of flex to help dissipate vibes. Instead, they transmit every little wiggle directly to the rider and just absorb all the movement.

But being a glutton for punishment and because I like the look, I decided to let my heart overrule my head and install a new set of West Coast t-bars on my current Dyna. Predictably, I immediately got the same problems I had before. The vibration is so bad it's slowly shaking all the parts mounted to the bars loose. In the middle of a ride on the highway today, my R/H mirror shook loose and rotated right back toward me. It happened fast and I didn't notice it until I needed to use the brake and suddenly found my glove momentarily tangled with the damn mirror! I quickly pushed it out of the way and braked, but that delay almost cost me. After pulling over I discovered other components working their way loose as well. The bars are so rigid I felt like I had the throttle control of a drunk guy with tremors or something when going over a rough patch of road. After talking it over with the dealer, one of the mechanics told me they've had similar complaints with t-bars on Dyna's. I've had bikes with apes and never had any problems like that, but with t-bars there are no risers, and the bars are just basically bolted directly on. Vibe city.

Sure, t-bars look cool, but mine are coming off before the next ride. The first time I tried them I thought the problems were a fluke, but now I'm convinced they're just not a good design for a motorcycle already prone to significant vibration.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zzzeduardozzz you are not use to riding yet, your not sick it's not your bars....your sore from riding, soon you will adjust to it. Or your just clowning around, what was the wrist brace going to fix on you...

Dm426- tons of tbars and mx bars around here no ones parts are falling off. Hopefully your clowning around also

Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Nope. I hate the feel of them. Apes or drag bars for me.

Quick Reply: Soreness after installing T-Bars