Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel inj or carbs which performs better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

FI, more consistent and accurate over a greater difference of riding conditions. Working with high end and mass amounts of electronic systems on a daily basis, I see the failure rate and I trust the electronics to be reliable and more so than a mechanical carb that can corrode, break, or have a float stick.

With constant advances in electronics it's only getting better. More efficient and more power, I see no use for technology of the past on my toys.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 10-29-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I am old skool and I like carbs...I can tear one down and get it back running on the side of the road with a few hand tools...and have done so in the past. I wanna see you do that with your fancy-smancy high tech EFI system.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

none really has a huge advantage over the other performance wise, slight advantages to the EFI as mentioned above.., the FI bike you have to wait to prime everytime you start, which to me is a pain, Carbed bikes are easier for the at home mechanic to work on. the new bikes have too many sensors, and I'm sure the injectors and pump can fail, especially with the crap Obama gas, just google "ethanol ruins fuel pump". I prefer the simpler carbed bikes, there is less to fail, and they are much cheaper to upgrade & repair, it costs about $200 to have a carb jetted, vs. what? $600 to buy a tuner? In my opinion there is too much electronic junk on bikes today, ofcourse this is due to government mandate, I'm sure the new bikes have radio cut-off switches like all cars have had since OBDii 1996, onstar even makes tv commercials bragging about this.,, so the government can turn them off at the push of a button. sO I don't trust the electronics in that regard either.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 10-29-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

On my EFI bike, once its tuned (and you have to as its too lean from the start), pretty much forget about it. On my carbed bike, always fiddling with the jets, floats, etc but simpler to fix.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure carbs are easy but think of modern EFI as like having fully customizable needle tapers. Need the bottom profile of one needle, the middle of another and the top of something else? This is why you use EFI.

Remember too that most advanced carb set-ups already have the programmable ignition advance features so the fuel map is just another step. What really ties it all together is throttle position relative to load.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Carbs might seem simpler when doing a quick cleaning or jetting a stage 1. It becomes a real pain in the *** trying to dial in a big carb on a built motor. Even on the dyno it's just trial and error trying to get it right, and taking the bike apart every time. Then the ignition is a whole separate system to upgrade and tune. A properly tuned efi bike will typically make more power, get better mileage, have better throttle response and you can make a serious motor run as smooth as a stocker in any conditions.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is fairly obvious that most motorcycle will be running fuel injection systems due to the lower emissions. When looking at pure horsepower, the fuel injection system only delivers about 10 extra horsepower at peak. It is the ability to constantly be tuning the fuel and air intake for each cylinder that benefits the performance. The fuel injection systems are the best as they will decrease vibration also. You to not need a choke the bike with fuel injection to start at any temperature conditions, or give it any gas. It will adjust the motor throughout the entire range of RPM's. It is a no brainer go with fuel injection just my two cent.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Having owned a few FI and many more carbs, I prefer the carbs. But, I'm not trying to make a top fuel dragster out of my bike.