Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling at stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Check your clutch adjustment while your at it, Cable may have streched a bit and not fully disengaging stalling motor.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I have used a PCIIIUSB on my '03 for many years and still have the same unit. So Happy with it that I purchased a PCV for my 2013 Limited.

The only time I ever had a problem was after washing the bike with excessive water to wash salt off after a late winter ride and got water into the connector. Easy fix, disconnect and dry out with a hair dryer, cover terminals with dielectric grease and reassemble. I reset the PC and reloaded the program and she ran like new again, still does.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 AM
raptorroy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Check your clutch adjustment while your at it, Cable may have streched a bit and not fully disengaging stalling motor.
I thought about the clutch the second time it happened last night because I looked down at my tach and as it was fluttering it said it was in 3rd gear, but my clutch was pulled in and I was in 1st. Once it dies and I restart it then its fine.

Is it the adjustment on the handlebar or one in the primary?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Should be one along the cable somewhere or lever, To try first, Should be plenty of adjustment.Hard to tell what model(Sporty/Dyna) and mods(Bars/Cables) on your bike in the small photo.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM
raptorroy
Advanced

The picture is outdated but it is a 13 street bob now with 12" t-bars, it came with mini apes. I haven't changed any cables but I just had it in for the 20k service 2k ago. I'm going to give the place that did the service a call and see if they will re-adjust my clutch.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

The clutch cable should have some play when the lever is released which will guarantee you are not riding on the throwout bearing and the clutch will not slip. Typically this is adjusted in the cable, behind the ribbed rubber usually behind the front wheel. If clutch plates are worn the clutch rod will need adjusted inside the primary. You will know if the clutch rod needs adjusted because the clutch will slip in high gear after the plates have worn far enough. The cable adjustment is easy, you should have 1/16-3/32 gap between the clutch lever and the lever perch when you feel pressure on the lever. Again as clutches wear the gap is reduced to the point the clutch will slip in high gear. Motor stalling would indicate the clutch is not disengaged when you pull the lever which is opposite the normal wear of clutch plates and the effect on cable and or rod adjustment.....

Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I randomly had this happen one time on my '13 as well. Same exact thing, died right as I came to a stop at a stop sign. Started right back up. Has only happened once in 10K miles. I cleaned the IAC not that long ago so it's definitely not due to buildup for me. Not my clutch either. Has only happened the one time though.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM
raptorroy
Advanced

Rode it to work with no problems but I never got above 60mph and kept all my shifts low. Old lady is grabbing plugs and new a/c on her way home tonight so I'll swap them and see what happens.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raptorroy
Rode it to work with no problems but I never got above 60mph and kept all my shifts low. Old lady is grabbing plugs and new a/c on her way home tonight so I'll swap them and see what happens.
In case nobody mentioned it, the most common problem with a PC-V is water gets into the main plug after rain or washing. You will need to pull it apart and just get the water out if that's the case.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Scan the code if possible, even a bad speed sensor will cause idle problem. I had similar experience.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...e-gremlin.html

Quick Reply: Stalling at stop