Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Iso throttle sticks when housing tightened

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM
featman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Iso throttle sticks when housing tightened

Hi,
Help please.
There sure is allot of joy in doing things yourself, but it can be torture too.

Put on my new Kuryakyn Iso throttle grip.
Followed directions in forums.
Backed off cable lock nuts and adjusters.
Carefully removed cables and ferrules from old grip.
Installed Iso grip and reinstalled in reverse order.
Everything working great. Throttle snaps back. Idle nice
UNTIL I reinstall switch housing. Then throttle binds. I had housing on and off and moved it every which way numerous times. Still binds upon tightening. If I leave the housing loose, which I won't, throttle snaps back.
Please give me some advice on this. Sticking throttle is scary business..
Does the adjustment wheel under the housing have something to do with it??
Thanks,
Richard

Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

"Does the adjustment wheel under the housing have something to do with it??"

Uh, yeah. It's a friction control for the throttle. There's supposed to be a little plastic shoe on the end that applies pressure when you tighten the wheel. The shoe might still be there or somewhere on your garage floor. Just loosen it up. Seems like you covered all the other bases, so hopefully that's it.
Make sure the grip isn't all the way against the bar end.

Last edited by nevil; 10-29-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:53 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I sent 2 sets of Iso grips back because of leftover manufacturing glue that was inside the grips towards the outer part of grip....might check for that.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea that " adjustment wheel" needs to be loose or it will lock the throttle. Possible you turned it somehow while working on it? That would be the obvious thing to check first and go from there

Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM
fxdc_9613
Advanced

I had a similar problem when I did my handlebar swap. For me, it was a combination of the locking wheel (or "the poor man's cruise control") and the angle of the switch housing. I had the switch housings angled a little higher at first and I guess that cinched the cables a bit. Not sure exactly, but you might play off of that. As well as making sure everything is nice, clean and smooth, and that the throttle doesn't sit pressed against the side of the little groove in the switch housing. Need some wiggle room there

Old 10-30-2014, 07:43 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

When I removed mine to work on my wiring, re-assembled with same grips, same bars but some powder coating work done the throttle was binding exactly like yours only with housing tightened fully. I took some fine sandpaper to the bar where the throttle grip would rotate and sprayed some lubricant. Works great now. Try that first, then try smoothing the I.D. of the throttle grip with fine grit wrapped around a dowel, pvc pipe, etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

When I installed my Iso Grips I think 1 of the steps was "Loosing star wheel until it stops". Give that a try first. Is it sticking a little or really binding up? If it's bad I think there may be a problem with the grips.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
featman
6th Gear

Well THANKS to everyone here. I tried sanding handlebar and inside of grip.Lubed inside of grip and cables in switch housing. Still no good. When the switch housing is somewhat loose, the throttle snaps back fine. As soon as i snug the top screw the throttle binds. VERY FRUSTRATING. I guess I'll contact Kuryakyn for a possible replacement. I already glued on the clutch grip so i don't know if they'll let me return just the throttle grip. Pissed off cause I did everything right and followed the manual. Again, Thanks very much to all for helping me out.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I tell ya what I done when I installed my ios grips. I lost a copper ball end off a throttle cable and thought it hit the concrete floor. I spent 2 hours crawling around looking for the thing. I finally went to the dealer and bought a new one. Anyway I get everything together and the throttle isn't working right. Come find out that copper ball had fallen into the plastic switch casing and was hampering the movement. I finally fished it out of there and everything worked fine.

Anyway I'd check carefully to be sure a foreign object didn't fall into the switch housing. If not sounds like a new set of grips are due to you

Old 11-03-2014, 11:16 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Make sure you have the correct iso grips for your bike. I had an ISO grip bind from the plastic friction shoe. It seems that the Kuryakyn iso throttle grip was not exactly the right one for my ride and the bottom of the throttle cable area where the friction shoe was supposed to ride had too much diameter which would make it bind on the plastic friction shoe because the shoe could not be adjusted far enough down.

I discovered this when I noticed that the whole friction lock was missing when I replaced my handle bars so I installed a new one...but when I put it all back together, every time I tightened the housing halves, the throttle would bind. I ended up taking the friction lock stuff back out like the previous owner had done. I recently replaced the grips with a new pair of Kuryakyn Iso grips with the right part number and reinstalled the friction lock with no problems. The plastic shoe does not bind now and the friction lock works as advertised.

Last edited by skinman13; 11-03-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: New Iso throttle sticks when housing tightened