Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on rocking a "stock" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is my opinion . . ."It's your bike - do what you want."
Now how about my opinion on those who use "rocking" in a sentence as you did . . . .
:P

Honestly man, some people like their bike stock. Some like to make it 'theirs' by changing things up. No right or wrong. And no business of anyone other than the owner what they do with their bike. Just ride and enjoy.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Personally I like a few of the stock parts and I think a bunch of the replacement parts like derby covers and such tend to look tackey.

But I can say most of the parts I've added are for function and serve a purpose and improve my riding enjoyment, but a few are entirely just for my little personal touch and aesthetics.

But nothing wrong with stock! I rocked a pretty much stock Honda shadow aero for two years. But man was it boring! I enjoy tinkering and wrenching on things so stock can be boring to me.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 10-30-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC.streetkid
Here is my opinion . . ."It's your bike - do what you want."
Now how about my opinion on those who use "rocking" in a sentence as you did . . . .
:P
I "rock" mine when I park it on dirt or grass sometimes, to get an idea if the ground is firm enough to support the kickstand.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Stock just says HD got it right for you. Nothing wrong with that! I just change what I don't like about the bike - the rest stays ... well, plus little things like pin-stripes

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing wrong with stock bike and engine, as long as you are happy with what you have. I have spent a lot of $$ on both engine and apperance in the past 2 years, still not 100% satisfied lol There are always 2 things mandatory in my mind, stock intake and exhaust must go!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like a stock harley. The only changes I make are comfort mods. Key words here are " I like"

Reason is harley typically goes for a retro classic look in stock form which happens to be my preference in appearance. Since I like that look I don't have to change anything. People who like custom or more modern looks have to modify their retro looking stock harley to get the look they desire.

We are seeing some change from factory retro to more modern taste though. As older riders die off and younger ones arise the desires are leaning more towards custom and modern looking stuff. I think this is one reason sportsters and dynas have changed so much in past several years with more blacked out stuff ect. Example is the huge change in wide glides made in 2010. Harley is targeting a new generation of people with them than 15 years ago hence the major facelift to the wide glide. Now is a low and long street rod looking bike instead of 1970s styled factory chopper

Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

same reason you change out the wheels on your cars and trucks....some people just like to change it up some people dont... its good either way.... i like "custom stock" where i use the stock parts but customize them,,, as in powder coating ... ect ect seats are for function, need to have comfort...i like to change my stuff up

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM
JRCinNH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet there are more stock bikes than you think. Sure on here and other websites almost everyone does something, but in the dealer parking lot or at the ice cream shop bike night, I see a ton of stock bikes. If you include only exhaust/intake changes, you account for 80% of the bikes I see. If you add a few dealer "skulls" you account for 90%

Old 10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Is batwing detachable? It is probably the best looking convertible Fatbob I have even seen. Good work!

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
same reason you change out the wheels on your cars and trucks....some people just like to change it up some people dont... its good either way.... i like "custom stock" where i use the stock parts but customize them,,, as in powder coating ... ect ect seats are for function, need to have comfort...i like to change my stuff up

Old 10-30-2014, 04:04 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Some people like to add things, some like to remove. I like a 'less is more' stripped down look to my bikes, with less 'things', so I minimize things like turn signals, mirrors, seats etc. I don't want bags, a GPS or any of that stuff hanging off my bike. Interesting thing is, sometimes to minimize a stock bike, it takes 'adding' . . . just less intrusive pieces. Stock bikes to me have things on them that are intrusive and need toning down . . but to each his own. Of course the performance upgrades are a big deal to me as well.

Quick Reply: Opinions on rocking a "stock" bike?