Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on rocking a "stock" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Is batwing detachable? It is probably the best looking convertible Fatbob I have even seen. Good work!
YEA ITS a quick release,,,, sits in the cabinet with my other back rest luggage rack combo.....and my ironriders tour bag.....15 min and im ready for a week on the road.... thx for the compliment...

Old 10-31-2014, 01:13 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, i wish i was happy enough with a stock bike, would have saved me thousands

Old 10-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Due largely to the success of Harleys "make it your own" marketing (money-making) campaign, stock bikes are rare, and are more unusual and "custom" than much of what's out there.
Ride a stock bike with pride!
If nothing else, is shows that you're not a lemming, or total sucker for corporate marketing.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:08 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nothing wrong riding a stock bike.
There lots of us that has over done it, in a way, and we have to keep em because of what we have invested.

The wide glide ss106 i could do good on but the pro street 113 I need to keep it for 10 years. LOL

Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to note is that the only money I've lost in trading 3 bikes over the past few years was what I spent on modifications. Not that it's kept me from spending about $1,300 in accessories for my current Dyna in the year I've owned it, which adds to the $1,500 I think previous owner spent on it. However, most of my upgrade purchases were what I consider practical: seat, windshield, footpegs, shocks, fork springs, hand guards, different sissy bar, luggage rack. Just installed a "vanity" item, a LED layback taillight, but I can even justify that for being brighter and I bought it new on fleabay for 1/2 price.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

keep the bike for a little longer, go through the Harley catalog, I guarantee sooner or later Your are going to do something to that bike, whether it be foot pegs, highway bar, gauges, grips, AC cover, replace stuff as it wears out.

thre are lots of little things to do too, axle covers, spark plug covers, bolt covers. license plate brackets or frames, smoke turn signal covers ,headlight rings, I like bikes that keep the clean stock look but have the little finishing touches like smoked lights, bolts covers, axle covers, etc. that make it look even cleaner.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:30 AM
bessee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh~! A whole $1,500 on your Dyna. I spent over $3,500 on mine before I ever rode mine and still have another $2,500 dollars in modifications planned for this winter.

And it still looks pretty much stock. On closer examination and ride you figure out what the differences are.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Swizzlestick
I ride a 2014 FatBob. I'm planning to make some performance mods to it, but as for aesthetics, I dig the stock design. I've looked at a few things like derby covers and such, but honestly I think they just look different - not necessarily better.

I don't see too many people riding stock bikes. Is this because people want to create rolling art that reflects their style? Or do people generally think that HD's design teams are bad at their jobs? I'm not drawing any conclusions here - just asking. Is there anything wrong with simply rolling stock?

Now, I know that many people will say "It's your bike - do what you want." And I respect that. But why do so few people keep the stock look?

When I went to buy my latest bike, I went in for a different model altogether. But I saw the FatBob and it spoke to me. It didn't say "with your creativity, I could be awesome." It was more like meeting a hot chick - I just dug what I saw.

Is it really so lame to run a stock look? I only ask because hardly anyone does. So what's your opinion on long term stock bikes?
I think there are 4 general categories that modification from stock fall into-

1. Comfort
2. Performance
3. Sound
4. Looks

First thing I do on all my bikes is make whatever changes are needed for comfort.

Simultaneously I will do a Stage 1 Upgrade, along with a few things to get the heat down on the newer HD's.

Part of the Stage 1 Upgrade is pipes, so I try and get the sound I like at that time.

These 3 things, by default, may change the looks a little or a lot, depending on the bike.

On some bikes I will not do anything else...no changes in looks, just for the look. On others, I have a certain color, or look I want and will make that change.

In my daily life, working on motorcycles & motorcycles mods for a living, at least 1/2 of the bikes I see are stock or look pretty much stock.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2014, 02:59 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What impressed me is how the dual light line up with the detachable batwing. Very nice!

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
YEA ITS a quick release,,,, sits in the cabinet with my other back rest luggage rack combo.....and my ironriders tour bag.....15 min and im ready for a week on the road.... thx for the compliment...