Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini windshield on a Dyna.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 AM
JGmx327
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mini windshield on a Dyna.

Do the mini windshields I'm seeing on the Dyna models actually work? Are they worth the money? Thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

They work if you get the height right. I bought the Windvest and got the tallest one they make for the Fat Bob.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
JGmx327
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Twincruiser
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Windvest as well. They do a good job of keeping the force of the air off your chest and bugs out of your face. The only drawback I see is that I do get buffeting from air coming around the sides if I'm going over 55mph. I think buffeting is typical of most cruiser style windshields.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:09 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate windshields . . that said what I think has nothing to do with what others like . . . . but not long ago I was on a trip and feeling like crp. Had a long way to go and wanted to get some of the buffeting off my chest as I was feeling really weak. I was actually on an native reservation at the time so I bought a nice blanket ($10) and a couple of nice leather belts for kids ($9 @ piece), rolled it up attached to the bars above headlight . . made a real difference. It actually looked pretty good too (though a bit pretentious for daily use). Of course not on topic . . simply offering a 'possible' cheaper 'temporary' solution when the buffeting is getting to you at times or you are about to take a trip but don't want a windshield. It 'seems' it would do about what the Windvest would do 'somewhat'. Though I have never used a Windvest to say for sure. I'm so used to 40 something years of wind buffeting it doesn't usually get to me, but everyone is different.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Probably a little bigger than what you're wanting maybe, but I run a Memphis shades slim 17in with quick releases. I love it, it offers just enough coverage to block wind, rain, bugs, etc on long rides and higher speeds as I do run a good stretch of highway to work. The quick releases work great and solidly mount, but I've been so happy with it I usually keep my windshield on. And at 5'9" I can still see over it easy.

But they also offer a 15in version that could work to just throw some wind off you.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Hammerdown77
Tourer
Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

It depends on what your definition of "work" is. Do you want to sit in a relatively calm bubble of air? Do you just care about getting the force off your chest? Rain/bug protection?

I have a National Cycle Deflector DX for my Fat Bob, I'm 6'5", and all it does for me, if I position it correctly, is reduce some of the force on my chest that I would normally be fighting against at interstate speeds. Doesn't keep wind out of my face, doesn't keep it off of my arms/shoulders/abdomen, and it doesn't do a damn thing for rain. But it was cheap, and it's super easy to remove and replace, and it has tons of adjustability. Not the best looking thing, but oh well.

Because positioning it where it keeps the wind off my chest (my original goal) and doesn't create buffeting results in a lot of wind directly to my face, I wear a full face helmet. If I'm just putting around town at <50 mph and want to wear my open face hipster helmet, I'll remove the windscreen entirely. No windscreen is actually better in that scenario, as it doesn't feel like I have a firehose of air pointed at my face.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:13 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a windvest as well and love it. It is designed to keep the wind off your chest. Before the windvest I felt like I was going to get blown off the bike when I was on the freeway. The small windshield soves that but you still get all the wind in your face.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i run the shorty shield, i dig it

Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a National Cycle Gladiator shield for longer road trips, it's small but it's adjustable in many different directions, it's just enough to take the wind off your chest, I don't think it looks to bad either. I'm changing bars this winter so it won't work with the new set up, I will be listing for sale shortly if your interested.

Attached Thumbnails mini windshield on a Dyna.-windshield-002.jpg   mini windshield on a Dyna.-windshield-007.jpg   mini windshield on a Dyna.-windshield-004.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mini windshield on a Dyna.