Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

heated gear and a prayer. Layers work better than bulky sweaters

Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Gerbings heated gear and snow tires, you will never get stuck!

Old 11-01-2014, 06:32 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dc 365

When I was stationed in DC (HQMC) I rode year around. My Bonnie for most days… but when it got nasty/cold/snow even icy, I would ride my wife's little Yamaha enduro. I could put both feet down for stability, small enough to handle, and if icy/snowy I would ride on the side of the road in the 'grass' in my knobby tires and get some pretty good traction. One winter everything was ice/snow, everything shut down; 'cept me.! I lived in East D.C. and had to cross two bridges and pass several monuments to get to Arlington. The DC police had all traffic blocked off… so I just rode in the 'grass' …. should have taken a picture; my little bike next to the Jefferson Memorial and riding down the mall between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. The bigger DC police bikes (HD) could not chase me or do much; too heavy and clumsy, all they could do was watch (I waved, of course).

Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
When I was stationed in DC (HQMC) I rode year around. My Bonnie for most days… but when it got nasty/cold/snow even icy, I would ride my wife's little Yamaha enduro. I could put both feet down for stability, small enough to handle, and if icy/snowy I would ride on the side of the road in the 'grass' in my knobby tires and get some pretty good traction. One winter everything was ice/snow, everything shut down; 'cept me.! I lived in East D.C. and had to cross two bridges and pass several monuments to get to Arlington. The DC police had all traffic blocked off… so I just rode in the 'grass' …. should have taken a picture; my little bike next to the Jefferson Memorial and riding down the mall between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. The bigger DC police bikes (HD) could not chase me or do much; too heavy and clumsy, all they could do was watch (I waved, of course).

Nice pic. Where's your gear?!?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
heated gear and a prayer. Layers work better than bulky sweaters
Coming from a hunting background, I can attest that layers work much better. Plus its easy to stay comfortable and shed a layer if you get too hot rather than try to cope with getting a little air in your jacket.

dont skimp on a pair of quality socks either.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's my gear.? I wear it.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First, riding around the DC metro area is just plain suicide, I have had way to many close calls and moved further out into Virginia, I commute 58 miles one way to Manassas and ride when I can. No way will I ride when it gets real cold or after the salt is put down, when it is cold I ride my Electra Glide with lower farings on, blocks a lot more cold air then my Dyna.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I admire your thinking and understand your problem...but.. I'll also be praying for ya...

Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the first time you drop the bike on an icy road the $12/day parking fee will feel like a bargain. On the other hand, if you put some knobbies on her you can have a blast throwing enormous rooster tails in the snow.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Find a way to spike at least that rear tire for when you hit ice.

Heated gloves for sure with your hands in the wind like that.

Good suit, and get one of those hand-warmer things, I had one back in the 70's that burned this charcoal stick of some magic makings, was in a like asbestos wallet size case. I'd put that thing in my shirt pocket near my heart while on my paper route and it would get me through the cold winter days. Kept my heart on fire anyways, and that beats freezing.

Quick Reply: Tips for riding in the winter.