Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Western NY and I'm no stranger to riding in adverse winter weather and below freezing temps. I've also worked in DC over the winter and have family in the Falls Church area that I frequently visit. I know that when it snows in DC that the whole city shuts down. It also does not get below freezing during the day that often. The biggest road hazard you will have to deal with is ice. The air temperature does not even need to be below freezing for ice to form, especially on over passes. I also do not recommend riding when there is snow on the road.

I have no problem riding in cold or below freezing temperatures. I just don't do cold and wet. Leather is great at wind breaking, keeping you dry and holding heat in. My cold riding gear consists of:

* Full Face Helmet
* Balaclava
* Leather motorcycle jacket with a zip in cold weather liner
* Leather Chaps over denim pants
* Winter riding gloves with a gauntlet (The gauntlet goes over the jacket sleeve to prevent wind from going up the sleeve.

I have even seen riders up here top off with their rain gear.

Your hands will get cold the fastest. Spend the money on quality gloves. How bundled up you get depends on the weather, travel distance, and personal preference. You can always do some cold weather riding on the weekends so you have it just right for the work week.

Also, Here in NY salt is used on the roads. I know as you move south, states use sand instead of salt. Salt lowers the freezing point of water from 32 to 20 degrees. Sand is used to add grit to ice to prevent slipping. The last time I was in DC they were only using sand but many sand only states have now started using a salt/sand mix. Sand is one thing but salt will corrode (rust) the metal on your bike. If salt is used then you must keep your bike clean or it will start to disappear right from under you.

I hope you have a mild winter!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by enodrano
I live in Western NY and I'm no stranger to riding in adverse winter weather and below freezing temps....

I have no problem riding in cold or below freezing temperatures. I just don't do cold and wet. Leather is great at wind breaking, keeping you dry and holding heat in. My cold riding gear consists of:

* Full Face Helmet
* Balaclava
* Leather motorcycle jacket with a zip in cold weather liner
* Leather Chaps over denim pants
* Winter riding gloves with a gauntlet (The gauntlet goes over the jacket sleeve to prevent wind from going up the sleeve.
Damn, I wear more than this here in SE Texas when the weather is in the 40s...

Skid-lid with balaclava and over-the-glasses ski goggles
Thermal top and bottoms
Long-sleeved pull-over tee
Fleece zip up hoodie
Heavy leather motorcycle jacket with quilted liner
Thin cotton socks under the thermals
Heavier wool hunting socks over the thermals
Levis over the thermal bottoms
Heavy steel toed lined boots
Leather chaps over the Levis
Military flight style Nomex gloves under the jacket arms
Heavy leather HD gauntlet gloves over the flight gloves...

I feel like the Michelin man but I am warm.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Took my last ride for the winter yesterday. I have been riding in the 30s and 40s but now the roads have lots of salt after yesterdays storm. I want to move south.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got back from Spain, sorry I haven't responded. I can already see that my battery and starter are struggling. I am keeping her on a tender while she sits. Last thing I need is her leaving me stranded. As far as cold weather gear, Columbia's omni-heat system works well. I got me a pair of gloves with medium thickness, my hands are cool but not freezing. I will definitely be staying off the road during ice, snow and mix. I know i have to be careful on my turns and yes a prayer never hurts before going out!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:37 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
How long of a commute in time and miles? My limit is about 25min over 17miles at 40* at least.

A modular helmet sure helps the face but a belacava with my 3/4 with a face sheild is warmer, easier and I think has better outward visibility. I hate the bulk of winter gloves but my regular summer gloves are only good for about 5min tops.

The Cycle Gear 'Freeze Out' stuff is pretty good and we have a few pieces that layer in real nice as tempeture requires.
I commute 9 miles from outside DC but it takes about 30 minutes with traffic and stop lights.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 128auto
Gerbings heated gear and snow tires, you will never get stuck!
Whoa I think I hear some clanking. Im guessing its the sounds of your iron *****.