Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential additions for an FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 PM
bushidodaddy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Essential additions for an FXDX

New member here,

I have recently decided to trade my 04 FXDWGi for an 02ish FXDX. I have lived in SOCAL for many years and my normal lane splitting ride to base is getting to be a bit hazardous (please no lane splitting debates). I have always loved the FXDX and am so ready to have one in my garage. However, I know almost nothing about the FXDX and am wondering if anyone has any good advice for modifications. I expect to focus on power and braking, but any advice is appreciated.

My expected additions depend upon the condition of the ride I pick up, but should include:

SE/Mikuni 42mm flatside carburetor (but looking at S&S upgrades, and really want fuel injection)
SE performance ignition system
S&S Intake (I get chills every time I see that teardrop)
HD 95 kit
Brembo brakes
2 into 1 exhaust system to be identified. (not sure about the standard thunderheader)
REALLY REALLY GOOD TIRES! my FXDWGi goes through HD tires every-other day.

Im sure these items have been covered in the past, however; Im also sure that times change and so do mods. Im really looking for anyone who has some experience with the FXDX and is willing to point me in the right direction.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:26 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 709 Likes on 326 Posts

Dave Mackie, T-Man, Hillside for the motor. Or a 124 swap. True track, Metzelers, Brembos, Galfers , go nuts with some Ohlins suspension, San Diego Custom Speedline wheels.. Slippery slope man, have fun and post pics.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Geordie Pete
Novice

I have a '01 FXDX which I have modified over 6 years and I am satisfied with it. . Also I am in the UK so I don't have access to all the tuners and shops available to you. Please remember this works for me - it's not the ultimate. For instance there may be better cams but they are very expensive over here - the Andrews came up as a bargain on ebay.
Engine -
Mikuni HSR 42 with K&N RK 3910 element
95 c.i using C.P flat top forged pistons.
Heads done by Don Dorfman to Street Port standard, c.r set to match Andrews #37 cam.
Ignition is SE performance module
Gaterman 1023 lifters with NHRS cro-mo adjustable pushrods
SE hybrid oil pump upgrade kit with oil pressure gauge.
Supertrapp 2:1
All this designed to run on the standard petrol we get here which is 95 RON. Don said this is equivalent to 91 premium in the USA.

For the chassis
True track
SE fork brace
Progressive springs
SE floating discs
Hagon Nitro shocks
Avon Cobra tyres.
And here's another add that not many will agree with - LOWER handle bars of a 883R with appropriate clutch cable.

So there you go. If I were doing it now what would I change. Well personally (for the same cost reasons) a 98 c.i kit with a slightly wilder cam (S&S 570 maybe) with adjustable ignition. A 124 kit would be nice, as would the Ohlins but no way with regard to total expense.

I hope this helps a bit. It's a minefield isn't it?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Been there, done that with my last bike, an '01 FXDXT. Li$t went like thi$:
103 inch motor: SE crank, 51CV, HQ heads & cams, Cycle Shack 2" 2-2 pipes, S&S IST ignition.
111hp, 117ft lbs with 100 ft lbs at 2200RPM (last point very important to me)
Lyndall composite rotors, aluminum rims with 4.25X18" rear, Sputhe engine mounts and aluminum swingarm, fork brace from Italy.
I'm not a believer in "hogging" out a motor to it's last available cc and I prefer torque over horsepower; it's what this design of motor is best at. This was my third "hi-per" HD motor
Rode for many miles over many years; still "touring" but now on a modded 103 FXDF

Attached Thumbnails Essential additions for an FXDX-fxdxt-11-may.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

Here's mine.
01 FXDX
Best things I did BY FAR were bagger brembos, sputhe chassis stabilzer, Leatherpro replica bags. Also very happy with the LED day maker.
Bassani Road Rage, 8" bars with mx style bars, a number of different fairing configurations, Dunlop K591s then Michelin C2's, blablahblah.
95" with andrews 37g. not satisfied but still running Stock carb so hoping a mikuni will change my mind.

Overall its a great bike thats served me well and does everything I ask of it, from long highway trips to narrow twisty roads, I love this bike, Im sure youll enjoy yours.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 PM
bushidodaddy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by shiftace
Dave Mackie, T-Man, Hillside for the motor. Or a 124 swap. True track, Metzelers, Brembos, Galfers , go nuts with some Ohlins suspension, San Diego Custom Speedline wheels.. Slippery slope man, have fun and post pics.
Yea, your not kidding. But with your list, it will be a quick fall to broke...
Hillside for the motor? Cant find info on the place.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 PM
bushidodaddy
4th Gear

Really appreciate the inputs!! I cant really get that far down the road, but you sure have given me some great ideas.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM
bushidodaddy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sharkey
Lyndall composite rotors,

I'm not a believer in "hogging" out a motor to it's last available cc and I prefer torque over horsepower; it's what this design of motor is best at. This was my third "hi-per" HD motor
Rode for many miles over many years; still "touring" but now on a modded 103 FXDF
How did you like the lyndalls? I have heard that the brembo bagger brakes are just as good. Any insight?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 PM
bushidodaddy
4th Gear

Puglia10:

You have done a great job with your FXDX. Can i ask you though, would you go with the bigger motor? I wanted the 95 myself, but everyone is saying go bigger. like 110. should I hold out till Ive got the cash?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:13 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I bought the Lyndals primarily for the huge unsprung weight savings; they were great brakes and can look really stunning and exotic with different rotor and pin finishes if you wish, too.

Attached Thumbnails Essential additions for an FXDX-img-20120816-00318-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Essential additions for an FXDX