Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 streetbob left me stranded. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM
103bob
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2014 streetbob left me stranded. Help.

Ok so the bike has full stage one and has had so for about 1500 miles. Bike has always ran fine since however today while riding it started sputtering, bucking, backfiring until it eventually died. After 5 minutes though it started up and ran fine for about 6 miles where I stopped at wal mart to get a can of sea foam, figuring it was bad gas. Upon leaving the bike again started to buck and sputter until again stalling. Again waited 5 minutes bike fired up and ran for a few miles until sputtering and stopping for good. Got bike trailered home now comes the issue of what happened. I'm thinking bad gas but unsure if anyone had similar issues or advice. Bike is 2014 103 motor with fuel moto micro power commander. Fuel moto air cleaner. Rush exhaust. Bike has 3100 miles all service up to date. Not burning oil. And as stated stage one done with about 1800 miles on the bike. Also it never threw a code or check engine light at the time everything was happening.

**Update : finally got a few days off to look at it and now it seems a bigger problem then initially thought all connections seem tight. When i attempted to start it this time the battery was near dead lights all cut out starter barely turned. So Im guessing dead battery but the issue is the battery is brand new installed in may the day I bought the bike. Why? Because the day I bought it the battery from the factory was dead. I thought nothing of it and the dealer replaced it for free clearly and I left happy with my new bike. Now 7 months down the road dead battery again. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the stealership. Opinions on mods I have full stage one should I take all of it off first or should i be good. I know legally they can't void my warranty but how much of a pain are they don't feel like dealing with a huge hassle.

Last edited by 103bob; 11-20-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: updating post
Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Count Damoney
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm . .doesn't really sound like bad gas to me.
I'd take out the fuel moto micro power commander and see if the bike runs good.
If so, I'd say you have a bad tuner.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you happen to wash your bike, or ride in the rain recently? If water gets into the connector between the PowerCommander and ECM it can cause the type of symptoms you describe. The quick check is to disconnect the PC and connect directly to the ECM.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

There's an old addage about the simplest problem being the most likely, and bad gas is pretty simple. A fresh tank is in order to test that theory...if not that then I would double-check the battery connections, which is probably the next simplest thing...Good Luck my friend.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:02 PM
103bob
Cruiser

I had washed the bike earlier yes. But I've washed it before almost every ride and never an issue. When the pc dries would it be fine or is it ruined ? Also worth noting after washing it it rode fine for at least 15 miles. I'll have to pull it out and see if it is visibly wet anywhere.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:03 PM
103bob
Cruiser

Also thanks for the feedback I appreciate it multiple opinions always help. Thank you

Old 11-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat can turn water to steam in connections close to cylinder.....worth checking out..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Damoney
Hmmm . .doesn't really sound like bad gas to me.
I'd take out the fuel moto micro power commander and see if the bike runs good.
If so, I'd say you have a bad tuner.
That would be my suggestion.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I hates how so many connections are open to water; Joe the PP I think did the best job on fixing connections' wagon, I think Joe shrink wrapped many of his, very fine looking job too!

When I was my bike I use that blue painting tape and cover the frame wholes in front of the tank. I've already stuffed some foam in them to help keep out the wet when caught in the rain.

Also after the wash I blow the wire connections and protective (ill-fitted) sheaths.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 103bob
I had washed the bike earlier yes. But I've washed it before almost every ride and never an issue. When the pc dries would it be fine or is it ruined ? Also worth noting after washing it it rode fine for at least 15 miles. I'll have to pull it out and see if it is visibly wet anywhere.
In most cases there doesn't seem to be a permanent failure, at least in all the threads I've read on here over the years. For most simply drying out the connectors and applying some dielectric grease before reassembly does the trick.

Lots of great input already, this is just one of the common causes.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 2014 streetbob left me stranded. Help.