Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again... winter mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few pictures from last weekend. For some reason most of the pics I took were deleted from my phone??? In any event, here what was left:
Old front motor mount was a mess. Going to replace it with an new OE mount.

Out with the old flywheels (note PM 6 piston front caliper in pic - made a world of difference in my ability to stop the bike).

Here's the new clutch, still in box...

Work continues... had to pick up some oil lines and clamps for the lines from HD, along with the new front motor mount. Also, I have decided to convert to chain drive and ordered those parts yesterday. Hopefully more progress updates after this weekend.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Can you post a pic or two of the clutch parts themselves if you get the chance, I'd like to take a gander at that

Old 11-22-2014, 05:39 PM
jmb79
Road Master

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Can you post a pic or two of the clutch parts themselves if you get the chance, I'd like to take a gander at that
Sorry for the slow reply. in the photo below you see the what's in the box. It comes with three sets of springs.

I just noticed that the baggie in the upper right does not belong with clutch, those are my Timken bearings.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 PM
jmb79
Road Master

The chain drive is in! For those who are interested, it's a PBI 22 tooth front sprocket and PBI 48 tooth rear sprocket. The PBI front sprocket is a .500 offset, and the rear is dished. The chain is an EK ZVX3 530.

Note that engine has been rebuilt as a 106" and was re-installed however had to be removed after a call from JIMS. Apparently some of the Timken bearing inserts they sold, including mine, had some manufacturing imperfections that caused failures. So we'll have to completely tear apart the engine again, split the cases again, remove the Timken bearings and insert, re-install the Timken bearing insert and bearings, and then rebuild the engine a second time. The good news is that the engine had not been filled with oil yet, and the primary driver parts has not been re-installed yet. Less to undo/redo. Whew!

In the meantime, chain drive is in:

Last edited by jmb79; 12-16-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Damn man! Is Jims giving you some money for their manufacturing f&$kup to cover costs for tearing it all back apart?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 PM
jmb79
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Damn man! Is Jims giving you some money for their manufacturing f&$kup to cover costs for tearing it all back apart?
I did not speak with JIMS myself. My friend, the mechanic, called me with the news. He said JIMS was not offering to pay the cost. I'm going to help with the rebuild so I think the shop won't charge me. I guess my friend will be out the extra time. Pretty much sucks for him. We'll see how it works out.

Last edited by jmb79; 12-16-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:27 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmb79
The chain drive is in! For those who are interested, it's a PBI 22 tooth front sprocket and PBI 48 tooth rear sprocket. The PBI front sprocket is a .500 offset, and the rear is dished. The chain is an EK ZVX3 530.

Note that engine has been rebuilt as a 106" and was re-installed however had to be removed after a call from JIMS. Apparently some of the Timken bearing inserts they sold, including mine, had some manufacturing imperfections that caused failures. So we'll have to completely tear apart the engine again, split the cases again, remove the Timken bearings and insert, re-install the Timken bearing insert and bearings, and then rebuild the engine a second time. The good news is that the engine had not been filled with oil yet, and the primary driver parts has not been re-installed yet. Less to undo/redo. Whew!

In the meantime, chain drive is in:
Oh great! My motor is out right now and going to get the timken conversion.. How did they narrow down which bearings went out with imperfections? How did the shop find out? Another thing to stress on haha. Good thing you guys caught it before you fired the bike up

Old 12-16-2014, 08:28 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

As big of a company as Jims is and what they charge for their goods I wouldn't let that go to easily. You got "lucky" that you have a buddy working on your bike.....doubt another shop would tear it apart for free. That would be a real disaster!

Haven't heard great things about Jims and especially now I have never and will never buy a Jims product.

Hope it works out man.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM
jmb79
Road Master

Originally Posted by monster715
Oh great! My motor is out right now and going to get the timken conversion.. How did they narrow down which bearings went out with imperfections? How did the shop find out? Another thing to stress on haha. Good thing you guys caught it before you fired the bike up
I don't know the "how" part but if I had to guess, I would guess they used a range of manufacturing dates/lot numbers. Shop received a call from JIMS.

Last edited by jmb79; 12-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 PM
jmb79
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
As big of a company as Jims is and what they charge for their goods I wouldn't let that go to easily. You got "lucky" that you have a buddy working on your bike.....doubt another shop would tear it apart for free. That would be a real disaster!

Haven't heard great things about Jims and especially now I have never and will never buy a Jims product.

Hope it works out man.
For the record, I didn't intend for my post to be a bash of JIMS, and I'd also hate for this thread to turn in to that. It will all get worked out and hopefully, no innocents will be out too much money.

Quick Reply: Here we go again... winter mods