Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Hydraulic Tappets 33-5350

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Let me just add that there are a lot of decisions in a build where you can spend more for not a great amount of benifit - yes there is a benifit but probably not a lot when stepping up to Premium S&S lifters and then stepping up to travel limiters - especially on a Stage 2 upgrade.

Even in my build, I could have been fine without the limiters or the Premium upgrade but I just kinda "tilted" into getting them.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Great thanks. Definitely strange, on Dennis Kirk under fitment the 2014 FXDB is not listed but when you punch in the bike it is. Weird.

Is there a noticeable difference between something like these vs. the premium which are almost double the price?

Ya, I think the guy who sells you the cheaper slugs sends his kids to the community college while the guy who sells the premium ones sends his kids to an Ivy League campus. Seriously, are you going to be bouncing your engine off the rev limiter all day long? If you are, maybe the ones you pay the most for will give you a little extra piece of mind.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I have the standard S&S lifters in mine and they work just fine, I think I got them for 100 bucks.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I bought the same ones from the same vendor on amazon. They will fit and they are the right ones even though the picture is worng

Old 11-15-2014, 10:53 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks folks. I want a good build but it's definitely a simple stage 2 designed for a fun first foray into the engine while doing my 5000 mile service. I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor but am on a budget. So if normal but better than stock lifters do the job properly then so be it, especially since I need to get adjustable PR's now too

Looking forward to getting everything ordered. Thanks as always

Old 11-16-2014, 07:35 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks folks. I want a good build but it's definitely a simple stage 2 designed for a fun first foray into the engine while doing my 5000 mile service. I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor but am on a budget. So if normal but better than stock lifters do the job properly then so be it, especially since I need to get adjustable PR's now too

Very logical and sound decision. During my build sometimes I "sprung" for a part and sometimes I did not. I got basic headwork done for $600 vs $1300 for high end stuff.

Have fun and hope you post as you work!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:23 AM
rgr357
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

robbyville, been following along with many of the same questions for a stage 2 build. I was just looking at lifters when this thread started up. Its been perfect timing for gathering parts list & digging into how far to take it the 1st time around. I think we are both going with the andrews 57, only Ill be going down the solid PR route with SE +.030 w/TTS. Will be interesting to see how things turn out in the end.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:45 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rgr357
robbyville, been following along with many of the same questions for a stage 2 build. I was just looking at lifters when this thread started up. Its been perfect timing for gathering parts list & digging into how far to take it the 1st time around. I think we are both going with the andrews 57, only Ill be going down the solid PR route with SE +.030 w/TTS. Will be interesting to see how things turn out in the end.
Great to hear, when will you be starting? I was planning to go the stock pr route but was told that may be problematic with the 57's since they have a different base diameter? I did email Andrew's to get confirmation but have not heard back yet. Let me know if different since I already have the kit with rocker gaskets, etc. adjustable would certainly be easier but I don't mind going into the top either.

Look forward to seeing your build as well. I keep hoping for another couple of rides before winter hits and I start the project but weather is turning so will probably order the rest of the stuff soon

Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
rgr357
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great to hear, when will you be starting? I was planning to go the stock pr route but was told that may be problematic with the 57's since they have a different base diameter? I did email Andrew's to get confirmation but have not heard back yet. Let me know if different since I already have the kit with rocker gaskets, etc. adjustable would certainly be easier but I don't mind going into the top either.

Look forward to seeing your build as well. I keep hoping for another couple of rides before winter hits and I start the project but weather is turning so will probably order the rest of the stuff soon
Most likely January, no big rush to start into it with a long winter ahead.

That was my concern as well, I emailed andrews and Gary Wallace recommended a +.020 or .030 solid pushrod when going from stock 2014 dyna to the 57H & everything else being the same & me specifically not wanting to put adjustables in.

My next call will be to S&S about the #33-5350 lifters to see if they are an exact replacement to HD 18538-99C stock lifters.

Beyond that will just watching for good deals on my parts/tool list and putting together all the steps to help things go smoother when I dive into it.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

I was unsure about adjustable until I thought about the overall big picture like if I wasn't happy with my cams( which I am very satisfied with) or lifters didn't work out right for me it was so much easier to get back in to open things up plus I could specifically set my preload and increase or decrease as needed. I went with gaterman gp1023 lifters. Talk to few builders and htt forum showed good feedback. The gaterman have oiler going to the roller itself on top of the triple feed so they seem to be a well designed product. Plus its always nice when you call a place to actually talk to the person who designed them. Bill Gaterman was very knowledgeable and friendly to speak with. Gaterman also has gp 1021 iirc that are a Harley b lifter that's reboxed or designed to the t of the b lifter.

Quick Reply: S&S Hydraulic Tappets 33-5350