Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Dyna Street Bob owners ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar
I just picked up my new '14 yesterday at the dealer, rode it home 35 miles. This is my 10th H-D and my second Street Bob. I generally prefer mids to forwards as I have a 30" inseam and the Dyna ones are way too far forward to me.

I believe the leg cramp issue is due to the seat being too low in relation to the mid pegs. I had this problem on my '07 SB and pretty much corrected it by installing a Mustang Vintage Solo seat. It was comfortable but I thought it looked too big, and it was the smaller version.

My plan for the '14 is to install the recently released "further forward mid control kit" and either a Harley Brawler solo or a Danny Gray Weekday Solo seat. The latter is supposedly the identical seat and is a little less $$ since it doesn't come with the "Harley Tax". These seats seem to be a popular upgrade and don't mess up the coolness factor as does the Mustang Vintage Solo - which really is a nice, comfortable seat.

Hopefully these minor mods will make for a more comfy riding experience.
If it helps, I have the same length inseam. I put the further forwards on and like them very much (although part of me still considers the reduced reach forwards eventually). I also bought a C&C seat which was custom, reasonably priced, pushed me back and down about an inch. I feel nice and comfy and can flat foot with my boots on pretty easily.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 AM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gentlemen. Robby/WildDave (and all others with the same general comment) - you are very correct and that's exactly what I was looking for as I do also like the mid-controls and riding position. The brake lever itself seems either a bit too low or too high (I'll have to try adjusting and riding) causing me to not rest my right foot comfortably without riding the rear brake. It could be just my experience (or lack of) which is affecting my riding meaning - it could just be me and getting used to the brakes interference. But it would seem that for my shoe size, the current position is too aggressive for comfortable riding.

I'd consider some lower control adjustments but not for $400. Highway pegs will be a must but for traffic riding, the lower brake control is just too aggressively positioned to be useful yet not extremely intrusive. Hope that makes sense. Ya'll are awesome though as the adjustment side is exactly what I was looking for versus moving the controls altogether.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:23 AM
houserco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ministry
Though not a '14, I just picked up an '07 street bob with 40 original miles on it. My hips cramped up on my first ride. I'm pretty tall, 6'3, and the horrible mid controls were one of the first things to go. I got somewhat lucky and found some scratch and dent kuryakyn forward controls on ebay (sold directly by them) for 200 bucks. They arrived and looked new and flawless to me.

Love the Kury controls so far. They are awesome. Top notch fit and finish, cheap, easy to install, and easy to revert back to stock.
I had the exact same experience. While I'm not that tall (6'0) I'm still a 31/32" inseam and my hips locked up on my old *** in after about 100 miles. I generally really like the feeling of mid-controls as it makes me (at least think) feel as if I have more control over my bike through any condition. It may be (for me) exactly what a previous poster had said. The seat position (too low) could be the cause of cramping and a different seating position in addition to a simple brake mod and highway pegs may solve my issue.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 AM
houserco
Intermediate

BTW - thanks all for not flaming me. It wasn't until after I posted that the thread links at the bottom showed me how retarded I was in my search efforts. For what it's worth it will serve as a future reminder to look what I'm searching for indefinitely before asking as it's likely already been asked.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...planation.html

Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 PM
houserco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wilddave
I recently picked up a 14 street bob too. As far as the brake pedal, you can adjust the position up and down. Mine was set really high, so I lowered it all the way down. Now that I have changed bars I might raise it a bit, but no where near where it was. I would suggest you try this first. I am also interested in the "further forward" controls, but I like my ground clearance.

The brake pedal is easy to adjust, it just takes 2 wrenches. 7/16 and 1/2 if I recall correctly. It may have been 1/2 and 9/16.
BTW WildDave - you were spot on. Sorry for all the replies, work has been busy and I've just got a chance (thanks to cold rain and new bike) to make the same adjustments which look (pending my next ride, today hopefully) to be exactly what I needed. I have a tendency to brace forward with any incident potential. That could be human instinct or just mine but dong this will force my foot forward and down allowing for me to grab that rear brake as I'm grabbing the front.

This issue may just be my riding style and for others be a non-issue, simply adjusting their ride per their bike. For me, after decades of riding I've found that adjusting my style simply ain't gonna work. Anyways, thanks again for everyones response. I'll shut up now.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:32 PM
SurfGuitar
Cruiser

Well, scratch what I said about the seat choice in my earlier post.

I decided that comfort trumps looks and ordered a Mustang Vintage Solo (the normal version, not the wide one). I had one on my '07 Street Bob and liked it. My recollection is that it solved the leg cramp issue and was WAY more comfortable than the stock seat. But yes, it looks kinda big. I guess at my advanced age, "form follows function".

I'll most likely eventually install the further forward mid kit, too.

Last edited by SurfGuitar; 11-22-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:40 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As stated earlier by jmb79 I also believe Tbars would be the solution to your handlebar dilemma. Go with the 12" they fit most and work great with the stock street bob wiring/cable lengths.

Last edited by tonebone_79; 11-22-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:46 PM
houserco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar
Well, scratch what I said about the seat choice in my earlier post.

I decided that comfort trumps looks and ordered a Mustang Vintage Solo (the normal version, not the wide one). I had one on my '07 Street Bob and liked it. My recollection is that it solved the leg cramp issue and was WAY more comfortable than the stock seat. But yes, it looks kinda big. I guess at my advanced age, "form follows function".

I'll most likely eventually install the further forward mid kit, too.
Amen to the "form following function" part. I've been fighting putting a half airing up front simply because I didn't want to follow what seems to be the norm for everyone looking for "that look". Nevertheless, I can't help wanting to keep wind off my chest for a little speedier comfortable trip to work.

Changing the angle of the brake helped a ton with the issue of riding the rear brake but getting an inch or two forward on the mid controls would be nice and might unavoidable. I'm 37 but old age hits quick and I certainly feel it after a few hundred miles.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 PM
houserco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tonebone_79
As stated earlier by jmb79 I also believe Tbars would be the solution to your handlebar dilemma. Go with the 12" they fit most and work great with the stock street bob wiring/cable lengths.
Agreed. I'm looking at the 10" but will see if I can find a 12" to compare in real life vs guessing. Was looking at West Coast for the 10" simply because I sat on a used one at the dealer and it felt great. I honestly thought I'd hate having my hands so far up and lose some control, but not the case at all. Thank you sir.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad it worked out. I went the other way with my bars, and put a more standard bar on it.
I come from a sportier background, so I'm not really biased, I just want my bike to work for me.
One more suggestion, I am used to riding with the ball of my foot on the peg, on this bike I rest my right heel on the heat shield slightly rear of the peg. I find it to be more comfortable.

Quick Reply: '14 Dyna Street Bob owners ?