Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Dyna Street Bob owners ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 AM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Dyna Street Bob owners ?

Hey all... please don't beat me up too much as I know others have asked similar questions but I'm looking for others in my situation. So - I picked up my '14 Dyna Bob and love almost everything about it. I wasn't sure about the mini-apes and would prefer a more drag bar look but really like the arm position so height and feel wise (circulation as well) it works great.

My problem is really two fold. The lower controls (brake, kinda gearing) are a bit too mid in the sense my right foot rides the rear brake when cruising. Freeway pegs will solve some of this but traffic riding seems to be the problem (for me). The brake control just seems too close and my feet are size 12 so navigating my foot to keep off the rear brake is somewhat difficult.

On to my actual question - I know there are some extended control options for gear/brake but has anyone had a real good experience with a certain product or brand? Second - is this something that can be easily put on myself or should I ask my dealer to facilitate when I bring it in for 1k mile check up? Lastly, anyone who likes the position of the mini apes but changed to drag bars? If so, brand/style for the same position?

I'm not mechanically retarded but I'm also not a mechanic. Any and all feedback is extremely appreciated.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of companies make T-bars that will give you a higher hand position to match the height of your apes. Just search for T-bars (or, t bars) here on the Dyna subforum.

I have HD forward controls on my bike and they work fine. I believe Kuryakyn also makes a forward control kit and some other companies as well.

The search function here on HD Forums, and Google, will serve you well regarding your questions about bars and forward controls.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently picked up a 14 street bob too. As far as the brake pedal, you can adjust the position up and down. Mine was set really high, so I lowered it all the way down. Now that I have changed bars I might raise it a bit, but no where near where it was. I would suggest you try this first. I am also interested in the "further forward" controls, but I like my ground clearance.

The brake pedal is easy to adjust, it just takes 2 wrenches. 7/16 and 1/2 if I recall correctly. It may have been 1/2 and 9/16.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

+1 for try adjusting the pedal down. I love the mid controls myself, I feel they let me have more control over the bike.

But another thing I added was the highway pegs that mount where the forward controls do, while not the best option with the factory air cleaner still there (knee bumps it some) they make longer rides much more comfortable.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Agreed, it doesn't sound like you're feeling cramped with the controls just that the brake pedal is interfering given the size of your foot, is that right? If so then like others mention just adjust the height of the pedal.

I'm 5'7 and the forward controls on the Dyna's were way to far for me (too bad because I liked them on my Sportster 48). I did put on the "Further Forward Controls" which move the stock pegs and pedals (gear included) about 2 inches from stock. It made a nice difference overall.

Many companies make highway pegs that can be both adjusted in a number of ways and also bolt directly to the frame vs. requiring crash bars. Harley stock ones are about $150. DK Customs (sponsor here), makes a really nice one as well that I'm about to pick up.

Lastly, if looking at moving to true forward controls, it does get pricey since you will have to change your primary outer cover, linkage, etc. I don't know this for sure, but based on some of the threads on this forum about it (mostly people going from forwards back to mids), it can run up past $600 in parts and labor if doing it after initial sale.

It is an amazing bike though, with so many options. I like the stock mini apes but feel they are too far forward for me when making sharp turns, this winter I'm going to try some curved risers before buying new bars.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Ratmonkey
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 14 SB with mids but find my legs are a bit cramped and its a bit tight when I carry a pillion. Also I used to own a Nightrod Special with forwards and really liked the riding position.
I decided to order a set of forwards from a company on ebay as not only are they more affordable than the HD kit but they are a DIY install and do not require the linkage to be moved from the primary
Unfortunately they are a Christmas present so I wont be able to tell you anything about them until then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2814301181...ht_4581wt_1157

Last edited by Ratmonkey; 11-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I was wrong about the cost of the forwards. Stock Harley are $369 and unlike my previous post where I thought a new primary cover, etc would be required I had that backwards. Looks like when people go from (stock) forwards to mids, it gets pricey since their primary's do not have the required holes.

In your case if you wanted to go that route the kit comes with a plug that you would use to cover the hole left in the primary when you move everything. The instructions don't seem that hard at all.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an 11 not a 14 but I wear a size 13-14 depending on brand of foot ware. I have forwards that I installed myself (it wasn't too difficult). Like others have said you can move the brake pedal a bit. I couldn't ride mine with mids for even an hour because my legs/hips would cramp up.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Ministry
Intermediate

Though not a '14, I just picked up an '07 street bob with 40 original miles on it. My hips cramped up on my first ride. I'm pretty tall, 6'3, and the horrible mid controls were one of the first things to go. I got somewhat lucky and found some scratch and dent kuryakyn forward controls on ebay (sold directly by them) for 200 bucks. They arrived and looked new and flawless to me.

Love the Kury controls so far. They are awesome. Top notch fit and finish, cheap, easy to install, and easy to revert back to stock.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM
SurfGuitar
Cruiser

I just picked up my new '14 yesterday at the dealer, rode it home 35 miles. This is my 10th H-D and my second Street Bob. I generally prefer mids to forwards as I have a 30" inseam and the Dyna ones are way too far forward to me.

I believe the leg cramp issue is due to the seat being too low in relation to the mid pegs. I had this problem on my '07 SB and pretty much corrected it by installing a Mustang Vintage Solo seat. It was comfortable but I thought it looked too big, and it was the smaller version.

My plan for the '14 is to install the recently released "further forward mid control kit" and either a Harley Brawler solo or a Danny Gray Weekday Solo seat. The latter is supposedly the identical seat and is a little less $$ since it doesn't come with the "Harley Tax". These seats seem to be a popular upgrade and don't mess up the coolness factor as does the Mustang Vintage Solo - which really is a nice, comfortable seat.

Hopefully these minor mods will make for a more comfy riding experience.

Quick Reply: '14 Dyna Street Bob owners ?