Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you change my mind on exhaust before I order?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 AM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of guys seem to be trashing the Big Radius. Who cares what they think, it's your bike, get what you like. I went with them and don't regret it (of course I didn't have to pay full price.....got em from a guy who bought em and didn't like em. Sold them to me for $400....still had the box and packing).

I replaced my Samson's BG3 Big Pamonas that had cracked a weld in the heat shield. I too have seen a lot of these around, but don't really care what everyone else has. I like the look and so I got em.
Can you change my mind on exhaust before I order?-dsc01868.jpg

Can you change my mind on exhaust before I order?-dsc01870.jpg

Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

I had V&H big radius 2 into 2 pipes on my stage 1 Slim. Liked the look and sound. Rode a friends stage 1 Slim with a D&D low cat...HUGE difference, lots more bottom end torque. I just put D&D low cat on my bike and the big radius pipes are for sale. I never liked 2 into 1 exhaust either, now I do.
If you want a 2 into 2 check out the Bassani pro street pipes, they are stepped pipes and look good. Sound good too

Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 AM
steve5109
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always liked the bassani fire sweeps. I have the road rage now, but I wish I would've went with the fires weeps.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:51 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadster21
Do those pipes sound the same? Or similar?
Yes they sound the same. They are basically identical other than the heat shields.
Originally Posted by maddghost
Well since you asked us to talk you out of them here's a few points;

- Performance wise forget it you may as well get an egg-beater and turn it on high, you will get more torque!
That's very easy to say and assume when you don't really know any better. They're rather short, loud, duals, they must suck right? A 2-1 always makes better torque. Common misconceptions based on things read on the internet. Not attacking you, just trying to reveal the truth. I used to think the same about this particular exhaust until I saw them proven to work well over and over. I am NOT a 2-2 fan, I love 2-1s, but I must tell it like it is. Torque is not lacking at all, they actually hold back the hp some on top. For those that rode a friend's bike with 2-1 or swapped exhaust, unless both bikes were very well tuned and you could see the difference you're comparing apples to oranges. The tune can make all the difference and it's amazing what your mind and sound can make you feel.

Here's some varying examples of what I see on a regular basis from this exhaust. These are all right out of the box big radius. I don't see or feel any lack of torque. In fact they are one of the better performing st1 exhausts that I do on a regular basis. They will make more hp with baffle mods but will lose a little on the bottom.

Stage 1 '14 low rider 103. Yep, a stage 1 over 100ft lbs for 1500 rpm! And it's not a miracle run, it did it over and over and actually made 103ft lbs when the clutch started slipping.

Stage 1 cvo 110 bike. 110ft lbs at 2k.

103 stage 4 kit in a fat bob. It's most impressive with a build like this. Many 2-1s out there can produce a bad dip or flat spot. This one's making 100ft lbs at 2200 with those junk 2-2s with a mid to top end cam.

Last edited by vdop; 11-22-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i started with v&h straightshots on my 13 streetbob. the o2 sensors are different sizes, but at the time i was running FM micro tuner that takes the o2's out anyway, so no big deal. loved the sound, performance and look. i was like you and hated the 2-1 look....until i saw the bassani road rage 2. swapped out and have been very happy with this pipe. sometimes i still wish i had some 2-2's, but i won't change back unless something bad happens to my bassani. from there, i would probably go to some firesweeps or something like that. so, give it some time, the 2-1's may grow on you. i hated them at first, now i don't.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You actually let ppl decide what exhaust to be used on your ride, really?
Then let me sell you the big shot, love the look and the crossover pipe for back pressure.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
Yes they sound the same. They are basically identical other than the heat shields.

That's very easy to say and assume when you don't really know any better. They're rather short, loud, duals, they must suck right? A 2-1 always makes better torque. Common misconceptions based on things read on the internet. Not attacking you, just trying to reveal the truth. I used to think the same about this particular exhaust until I saw them proven to work well over and over. I am NOT a 2-2 fan, I love 2-1s, but I must tell it like it is. Torque is not lacking at all, they actually hold back the hp some on top. For those that rode a friend's bike with 2-1 or swapped exhaust, unless both bikes were very well tuned and you could see the difference you're comparing apples to oranges. The tune can make all the difference and it's amazing what your mind and sound can make you feel.

Here's some varying examples of what I see on a regular basis from this exhaust. These are all right out of the box big radius. I don't see or feel any lack of torque. In fact they are one of the better performing st1 exhausts that I do on a regular basis. They will make more hp with baffle mods but will lose a little on the bottom.

Stage 1 '14 low rider 103. Yep, a stage 1 over 100ft lbs for 1500 rpm! And it's not a miracle run, it did it over and over and actually made 103ft lbs when the clutch started slipping.

Stage 1 cvo 110 bike. 110ft lbs at 2k.

103 stage 4 kit in a fat bob. It's most impressive with a build like this. Many 2-1s out there can produce a bad dip or flat spot. This one's making 100ft lbs at 2200 with those junk 2-2s with a mid to top end cam.

I don't have a dyno. But on the same bike (Stage one Slim) with a Cobra FI 2000 tuner I could tell a world of difference. The big radius had nowhere near the bottom end that the d and d exhaust has. I notice it on a daily basis and it has nothing to do with how the exhaust sounds (as you said) also has nothing to do with something I read. Lots of hills where I live, some of them have these things called stop signs on them. When you are parked on a steep hill and let out on the clutch you can tell which set up has more low end torque.... don't need to hear it or read about it or go by what a dyno says. Real world stuff, more power. Also can tell every time I grab a hand full of throttle to pass on the interstate...so don't tell me that I don't know any better. With the big radius I would have to gear down more often on steep inclines and when attempting to pass. I am not doubting your dyno information, but in my case I could tell a big difference.

As for the 2 into 1 dip, most of the time that is from the wrong baffle choice for the set up. And again, that big dip on the almighty dyno chart sometimes don't mean crap in the real world...I tend to agree with Dan Vance, people put too much stock in a dyno chart. Sometimes those numbers don't mean chit. Its a useful tool for tuning though.

OP. Go with whatever exhaust makes you happy

Last edited by FLS103; 11-22-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
Cobra FI 2000 tuner
Nothing else you said after this mattered. If it's not tuned it's apples to oranges. The tune could have simply been better on the low end with the 2-1 installed. I've tuned and ridden thousands of these bikes in just about any level of modification and configuration. I don't like big radius and I don't recommend them for performance, I'm just speaking the truth. I'm not at all saying a good 2-1 won't make better power, but the difference is not drastic at all on a well tuned stage 1, and this particular exhaust is nowhere near as bad as the internet makes it out to be, that's all I'm saying.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Chadster21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great info. I appreciate it.

I will clarify that I am
Not letting someone pick my exhaust I'm just trying to explore other people's opinions.
I like the basani road rage 2 but I plan on buying a lo next year and id throw them on it. Just want a 2-2 for the dyna

Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
If you want a 2 into 2 check out the Bassani pro street pipes, they are stepped pipes and look good. Sound good too
+1 on the Bassani Pro Street 2>2. Own the RB Racing LSR 2>1 and the Bassani Pro Street 2>2 and have ridden extensively with both pipes and also dyno'd with both on my 2000 Dyna with 95ci 10.5:1 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads/cams/pistons, Mikuni 45mm carb & Daytona Twin Tec TC88 ignition.

The LSR 2>1 generates enough low and midrange torque to nearly pull my arms off but doesn't come close to the upper-mid and top end (4000-6500 rpm) power of the Pro Streets. Both are fun to ride but I prefer the Pro Streets overall. The Pro Streets provide a smooth steady torque curve on the bottom and come on like a Banshee on the top. They look badass too with the side-by-side output configuration vs the typical one-on-top-of-the-other config of most 2>2 pipes.

The Pro Streets work and sound better with high compression and big cams IMO. Not sure that I would recommend them with a stock or mildly modded motor.

Last edited by dynawg1; 11-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Can you change my mind on exhaust before I order?