Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not share our "duh" moments of working on our bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why not share our "duh" moments of working on our bikes?

I had an issue once with not starting. Was going to take the wife for our first ride after being together for a couple of years (yeah yeah...I waited a while haha). I had the bike on the lift doing a little rear end work on the turn signals and after I had back on the ground it wouldn't start. Not only did I blow a fuse from exposed wires I forgot to heat shrink, I had a full blown retard moment and had the bike in gear...man was I pissed the next day when I realized the green "N" wasn't lit up. So I shifted into neutral and wouldn't ya know...the ol' girl fired right up. The wife just said "Wow, get it together and let's go ride." Luckily the babysitter was available the next day and we went riding around the hills of Northern California.

So yeah that was my "duh" moment of a simple bike repair...any other takers?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:09 AM
oubronco
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wifes uncle couldn't get his bike to start, said he tried everything. He trailered it and took it to the dealer the Service tech looked at him and said "Turn the run switch on and try it". He catches so much **** over that to this day and that was 4 yrs ago!!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Ninety8NeonACR
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

This reminds me of my lawn mower. I worked on trying to find out why I couldn't get it to start for about 4 hours before I remembered that you have to be sitting on the seat to start it.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:34 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be when I confuse *inch pounds* with *foot pounds*. Come on admit it, I'm not alone.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:56 PM
filthpig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
That would be when I confuse *inch pounds* with *foot pounds*. Come on admit it, I'm not alone.
you are not alone on this!!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oubronco
My wifes uncle couldn't get his bike to start, said he tried everything. He trailered it and took it to the dealer the Service tech looked at him and said "Turn the run switch on and try it". He catches so much **** over that to this day and that was 4 yrs ago!!

Almost the same thing. I had just changed the batteries in BOTH fobs. Trailered
the bike to the dealer. Called later that day...said it was ready. Good thing I left the fob with them. Heck of a dealer,no charge for me guess they enjoyed the laugh.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

While doing a minor electrical mod I forgot to turn the ignition switch off. The end of the hot wire that I was working on slid off of my knee and just barely touched the rear fender strut. It arced and left a 2" scratch in the chrome. Most people don't notice it from 2 feet away but I see it and it still bothers me years later.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

Mine was leaving the needle out of carb on my last Sportster and then trying to start it....hmmmmm.....oh what's that laying on bench?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine always seems to be forgetting to wrap a towel around the tank or fender and nicking the paint with a wrench handle. Crap, not again!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Fxdwgkam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oubronco

Hemmm that happened to me when I first got my Harley.... Was at a gas station and the bike wouldn't start. It took a little bit to realise I forgot to turn the switch to run. I guess it's not as bad as trying to turn the engine over using the horn button, have done that a time or two.

Quick Reply: Why not share our "duh" moments of working on our bikes?