Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving forward controls to mid

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:19 PM
crashlann
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving forward controls to mid

Im looking to buy a Dyna, but most of the good deals out there have forward controls. Is moving them back to mid as simple as replacing the primary cover with one set up for mids and removing the forward controls and installing the mid controls? Thx.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crashlann
Im looking to buy a Dyna, but most of the good deals out there have forward controls. Is moving them back to mid as simple as replacing the primary cover with one set up for mids and removing the forward controls and installing the mid controls? Thx.
both primary covers / clutch need too come off to re install mid mounts a very big time wise job say 3 hours, or install reduced reach forward controls 20 minutes, reduced reach seat 10 minutes , see whats cheaper part prices also get a quote on labour cost too install mids,,

Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM
FXDBISBOB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feeling of hauling *** Tucked in with Mids using your knees to help guide the bike through corners = PRICELESS

Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDBISBOB
Feeling of hauling *** Tucked in with Mids using your knees to help guide the bike through corners = PRICELESS

Agreed!

I just finished doing the forwards to mids conversion on my Dyna.
It was a pretty simple job, about 3 hours to change the inner primary out and install all of the parts and remove the worthless forwards.

Well worth the effort.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Agreed!

I just finished doing the forwards to mids conversion on my Dyna.
It was a pretty simple job, about 3 hours to change the inner primary out and install all of the parts and remove the worthless forwards.

Well worth the effort.
I agree. Love the further forward mids. Had reduced reach, but was never satisfied.
Roger

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

When the dealer called to tell me of the FXDF they had taken in trade, it was exactly what I wanted except it had forwards. Rode to Sturgis and back to give them an honest try and hated them after a few hours. Number one; no where else to move your feet on the highway and legs did not like hanging there hour after hour; number two, they seem to put more weight on my butt/tailbone. When I got home I sourced an inner primary and shifter from eBay and used an outer from EMD. Had the local independent shop do it during the winter for a "slow time" rate and many happy miles since. The fit and sealing of the crossover tunnel for the shifter is pretty important if you DIY.

Attached Thumbnails Moving forward controls to mid-emd-primary.jpg  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought an 2000 Lowrider this summer as a second bike to my EG, love the bike, is a blast to ride, hated the mid controls though, bought the Kury forward controls and love it even more, I dont get the mid controls, feels like I am cramped up on the bike, and I am 5' 7"

Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason I own a Dyna is the mid controls. After growing up on dirt bikes, just can't get the control I want on a bike with forward pegs. I like the highway pegs to stretch out on but when the road tightens it's back to the mids.

I wish someone sold dual controls so I could brake and shift from either mids or forwards. If I had the spare time and money I'd buy a set of forwards and attempt to engineer dual controls.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

when i bought my street bob it came converted to forwards by the previous owner and it was to much of a shretch for me at 5'10". So i went with the reduced forward kit from harley and it was better but i was still a little shrectched. But I rode it like that anyways for 2-4 months before i finally manned up and converted back to mids. This was my first time going in that deep and i can truely say it was easy. i probaly did it in 3-5 hours total time over a weekend. Just have a service manual handy and watch a few youtube videos for pointers and you shouldnt have a problem with it.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah I'm looking to swap my Jay Brake forwards for mids. If anyone has a bunch of mid control parts lyin around...please hit me up!!!!

Quick Reply: Moving forward controls to mid