Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coating during motor work... Need opinions

Old 11-25-2014, 11:46 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
what about doing your jugs in satin so you have some more darkness in the motor, if not i almost tnk it looks better factory
I wanted to do the jugs and heads black but with black rocker boxes I was thinking that it would just look like a big blob of black, especially with black pr tubes. Then I thought black jugs, gray heads and black rocker boxes but the gray/ black/ gray/ black might not look right either. The black heads and jugs would look great if I was going to run chrome rocker boxes but I don't want any chrome.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fwb35
On my motor I did black jugs but left the heads gray
Do you have a good picture of that? Did you go with black or chrome rocker boxes?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fatmanontwowheels
I think a satin would be best and if it were me I would do the rocker boxes, pushrod tubes, tappet blocks, cam cover with a black ignition cover ( factory or aftermarket ), transmission end and top covers. I would leave the jugs and heads as is. The black tubes and r/b covers would play off those I think. The outer primary would look good black, but would look better if you can swing doing the inner also ( ask me how I know lol ). And again, just my opinion.
Yea I was thinking the same thing about the heads and jugs. I'm thinking your right on but I may do a color matched timing cover instead of black. If I did the outer primary I would definitely do the inner as well. I just don't know if I want to do it, as much as I love blacked out cases I think the gray kind of sets my bike apart a little bit. I dunno it would probably look better black

Old 11-25-2014, 11:56 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I just picked up my PR tubes and lifter blocks and they look killer! I had them done like most my other parts in a black texture like the block and tranny.

I had them protect the mating services so they are smooth against the seal surfaces.

So, if there was a question to answer, I say, by all means, Go for it

Oh yeah, don't forget the swing arm nut cover if you haven't doused it yet with PC!
Yea suede I've been following your cam install you dog! I can't wait to see a pic of it all back together and hear what you think about them! Any yes you always have to protect mating surfaces.. We if you can help it.. And that swing arm nut cover saw it's last days of chrome months ago haha

Old 11-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monster I know it's an evo, but it gives you an idea.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another one with the A/C and carb on.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
Monster I know it's an evo, but it gives you an idea.

That looks sick!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monster715
I'm getting ready to start my winter motor build and I'm going to send some parts to powder. I'm going to powder the rocker boxes, pushrod tubes and tappet blocks, cam cover, side and top tranny covers and air cleaner cover again if necessary. So here's where I can't make up my mind. Should I powder the parts gloss black or semi gloss like the rest of the bike? I was going to do black jugs and cylinders but I think with black rocker boxes it would be too much black. Should I do the primary or leave it gray? I'm going to vht the pipe for now and get it powdered down the road after I have it twisted.

Monster, if you search enough, you can find pics of just about every combination you can think of. I decided against some ideas I had after actually seeing them. I have an 09 bob with the gray bottom end. It's made designing "challenging!" I'd love to see pics of whatever you decide.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

What about a combo of gloss and flat? Not sure exactly what parts which, but I was thinking it would go good with the gloss frame....

Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

black jugs silver heads and block rockers looks awesome man! ill try and dig up some pics we have done for customers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powder coating during motor work... Need opinions