Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 PM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's

Ok.... I decided to relocate my speedo and my ignition switch on my 2013 FXDB street bob, I have modded my stock dash and built a custom mount for the speedo and new toggle switch for the ignition switch. I have run into a problem that is confusing to me. I couldn't figure out how the ignition switch was wired to work, so I decided to open the switch, take it apart and see if I can reverse engineer it, I figured out that one of the two wires is a constant ground and the other is my positive, i was able to open the switch enough to find a circuit board containing three very small rectangle things. two of them say 101 on them and the other says 841...or something like that. i removed the 101 thing and placed between my constant ground and my positive wire and it turned the bike on, however the bike only turns on when the 101 thing is placed inside the circuit. when i put the 841 thing in the circuit it turns on my accessorie.....what are these things....my best bet is that they are resistors, but why???? and if so what is value of the resistor... the whole point of this is so that I can put the ignition switch on a simple toggle on off switch. please if anyone can help I would appreciate it, the oem switch is done for so I need to figure this out to have an operating bike

Attached Thumbnails Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's-harley-elctronic-1.jpg   Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's-harley-elctronic-2.jpg   Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's-harley-elctronic-3.jpg   Calling all Harley Electrical GURU's-harley-elctronic-4.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put an ohm meter on it, check the voltage on the circuit when it on.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:19 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Most likely there for security to prevent hotwire if switch was locked. You can do as stated above and put a resistor of that value in series in the circuit. You may want to be prepared for a security light. Maybe.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How are your soldering skills?

It is likely something that modifies the power that the ECM see when power is applied. The easiest and simplest solution, is indeed a resistor, as mentioned.

If you can solder, I would solder each one inline, and use heat shrink over it. Get a SPDT toggle switch, one position would be ACC, one OFF, and the other ON.

If you can use a multimeter, measure those, and get their resistance. Get those in a resistor with the proper leads, and resistance. Test it then, to be sure that it's the proper part for the function. Then, hardwire it.
Sorry if I'm all over the place, haven't had my coffee yet,

Very able to be solved.

Chase

Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have what is called a resistor ladder.

Basically it is a series of resistors that tell the ECU the switch position. It so that you can have 2 wires that indicate several switch positions based on their resistance. The actual switching of power is done by the ECU

You need to make sure that the relevant resistors are activated by the switch position to mimic the original switch. As mentioned above

Resistor ladders are common in the Auto industry where you have complex switching but want to cut down on the number of wires/connector pins.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 PM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you everyone for the info, it was very helpful. turns out it is a resistor ladder, all I needed to do was simulate the ladder with certain positions in a new three way switch. it was pretty simple and cheap, new resistors and a switch. thanks again for the help.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:18 AM
steamiestoyster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are surface mount resistors. The first two digits are the value and the last digit is the multiplier (how many zeros). So 101 is 10x10 = 100. 841 is 84x10 = 840

Old 11-29-2014, 12:01 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the whole project seems pretty stupid to me

Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
the whole project seems pretty stupid to me
You should post your mods so everyone can sh*t on them.

Not cool