Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Intiminators

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Ah right! 33mm or 35?

Last edited by robbyville; 12-18-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Hi folks,

not to hijack but since there are so many threads on these Intiminators I thought that I'd ask a couple of basic questions to get myself started as well.

Springs, @rooti you mention the traxion springs, any reason in particular to change from stock? I'm 157 lbs without gear so roughly 170 with.

Price, seems like the intiminators for the Dyna Street Bob are on sale for $180, is that a good price?

Items needed: Oil, motion pro, marine pump (would a small aquarium pump work?) Anything else?

HD, I've gone through your post as well but plan to keep the forks on
Straight rate springs are going to give you a more predictable/ confident ride. Worth the $$ in my opinion. It's a night and day difference after the straight rate springs/ ricors

Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

ok makes sense, in for a penny in for a pound.

Dumb *** question #2 of many I'm sure... Even though I can keep the fork on to pump out the oil, I assume I still need to remove the front wheel and caliper?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Ah right! 33mm or 35?
Mine was 35mm = 1.378", not sure if others are 33mm but that = 1.3", so you can measure your caps before buying.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is on my project list...good info on here!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

dumb *** question #3...

Since fork oil is supposed to be measured with the forks vertical, which will be next to impossible since I intend to do the change with forks still mounted, can I simply use the volume suggested by the shop manual of 28.6oz or 845cc's? Question 3a, is that per leg I assume?

Last one (for now) Ricor lists both 5w and 10w oils when purchasing. Which do you recommend?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

dumb *** question #3...

Since fork oil is supposed to be measured with the forks vertical, which will be next to impossible since I intend to do the change with forks still mounted, can I simply use the volume suggested by the shop manual of 28.6oz or 845cc's? Question 3a, is that per leg I assume?

Last one (for now) Ricor lists both 5w and 10w oils when purchasing. Which do you recommend?
Start with the 10wt. If it's too stiff then try the 5wt. You can measure the fork fluid with the tubes in the trees but you have to measure at the center of the tube. Does that make sense? Don't go by the factory specs for fluid level

Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

ok makes sense, in for a penny in for a pound.

Dumb *** question #2 of many I'm sure... Even though I can keep the fork on to pump out the oil, I assume I still need to remove the front wheel and caliper?
It's going to be easier if you remove the wheel and fender so you can pump each tube individually

Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
Start with the 10wt. If it's too stiff then try the 5wt. You can measure the fork fluid with the tubes in the trees but you have to measure at the center of the tube. Does that make sense? Don't go by the factory specs for fluid level
It does, thanks!

Originally Posted by monster715
It's going to be easier if you remove the wheel and fender so you can pump each tube individually
Gotcha again!

Is the $180 price reasonable? Any other similar product that I should look at or are the Ricor's pretty much the known way to go?

I've liked the ride quality on the Works rear shocks so much, you definitely notice some sloppiness on the front

Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why you would do that if you don't want to remove the fork tubes. You pump out the oil from the top. When I had the stock handlebars I had to take them off, but I switched to drag bars and now it's a 20 minute job. As long as you have the clearance to get the fork caps off, you don't need to take any thing else apart. With the motion pro, it will take the measurement from the middle the way it designed.
Use 10w amsoil fork oil for the 49mm forks and 5w if you have an older dyna. (pre 2006 I believe)

To each their own but I don't see any point in taking the forks off on a bike that only has around 5-10,000 miles or you need fork seals. Even Brian at ricor installs them with the forks on and it works and it's simple. You are also going to use a little less fork oil since the intimidators will take up some space or you can measure the oil with the intimidators in and use the amount specified in the manual. Just make sure the intimidators are sunk all the way to the bottom of the tubes and the forks are extended all the way. And yes, that is measurement is per tube. I had to buy a 35mm socket and got a long impact socket. I would reccomend the long one to get the fork caps started without the wrench..much easier to grab so you can push and turn at the same time.

Make sure you are using a good quality or modded jack for stability since you will be pushing on the front end to get the fork caps back on. Always better to have an extra person for that step.

A big plus to using the traxxion straight rate springs is they don't require near the preload of the stock springs and the fork caps go on real easy. Just be prepared to do some trial and error to get the sag right...if you don't, you won't get the awesome results. Also use a .80 or .85 spring rate for your weight..not anything more or it will be too stiff.

Last edited by rooti; 12-18-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing Intiminators