Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Intiminators

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:27 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Think any of the car parts places would sell the motion pro? Forgot to order one with the other stuff and shipping is half the cost of the item!
You could always just use a Dunkin' Donuts straw like my cheap *** is going to do.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:34 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Think any of the car parts places would sell the motion pro? Forgot to order one with the other stuff and shipping is half the cost of the item!
I got mine at cycle gear. It's not motion pro but it's the same exact thing. It was back by the dirtbike tools

Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tonebone_79
You could always just use a Dunkin' Donuts straw like my cheap *** is going to do.
Ha! great idea, but I'm freaked out enough taking on a bunch of winter projects that I don't think I'm ready to make my own tools! I'll be following instructions to a t. Ended up just ordering the tool and some snap pliers that I needed via Amazon

Old 12-21-2014, 07:47 AM
ncfatbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all this good info. I'm about to do the install on my fat bob, including intiminators and RSD preload adjusters. I don't have single rate springs but plan to just use stock for now. I'm using a Pella marine oil extractor.

Question on sucking the old oil out. Is there a technique here to get all/most out? Can you get the tube down below the dampening rod?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

personally i think that if you are going to take off the wheel and fender then it is literally 2 bolts per tube to remove the tubes. then you can drain them over a bucket and get 100% of it out and work on it straight up and down

to me seems easier and that is the way i did it on my 06. My 14 has stock front end but im sure at some point i will be doing the front end

i also used the amsoil shock therapy #10 with stock springs and stock length spacer

i am very interested in the pre load adjusters some of yall have used, that sounds pretty nice

Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM
ncfatbob
Cruiser

Thanks I see your point. I was't planning on pulling the wheel or fender though and since I bought the pump I'm committed to trying it this way for now. Plus, if Brian at Ricor uses this approach it can't be all bad.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfatbob
Thanks I see your point. I was't planning on pulling the wheel or fender though and since I bought the pump I'm committed to trying it this way for now. Plus, if Brian at Ricor uses this approach it can't be all bad.
When will you be doing the swap? Would love to hear how it went leaving wheel on, etc and how long it takes. I plan to do similarly since I have no way to hold the fork tubes if I were to remove them. Where did you get the pump and how much was it?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM
ncfatbob
Cruiser

Its the Pela 2.5 liter oil extractor. I got it from lake cabin tackle. I think it was around $40. I'll let you know how it goes once I get to it.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When will you be doing the swap? Would love to hear how it went leaving wheel on, etc and how long it takes. I plan to do similarly since I have no way to hold the fork tubes if I were to remove them. Where did you get the pump and how much was it?
Just my worthless .02 but I would suggest saving the $40 and just taking off the wheel and fender. Your talking like 30 minutes max to remove everything on the front end. It takes me 30 and I have to screw with removing my fairing. If you remove the tubes you can get 100% of the oil out and you will get a more accurate measurement when you refill it. You don't really need anything to hold the tubes while you do this.

Loosen the top pinch bolt, and then crack the top cap loose. Then loosen the bottom pinch bolt and remove the tube. Put the slider on top of your shoe with a rag under it and spin the tube while holding the cap. Hold that cap tight because it could fly away on you ( don't put your face over it). Turn the tube upside down in a clean bucket and let the spacer, washer and spring fall out. Let it drain for a while. Clean everything up slide in the intiminator, push it down with the spring and fill the tube up (add until you think your slightly over where you want it. Again, put the slider on your shoe and pump the tube 6-7 times or until you don't hear air gurgling. Add a little more fluid. Now with the tube standing straight up use your measurement tool to suck it down to the right level. Then in go your spring, washer and spacer (trimmed to your sag) and you can slide it back into the tree. Snug up the bottom pinch bolt and reinstall your cap. Tighten upper pinch bolt and repeat for the other side. You don't really need anything to hold the tube, I completely took my slider assembly apart for power coat and I didn't have anything to hold the tube either .

Edit: Put the tube back in the trees before you slide in the spring, washer and spacer.. That will keep the fluid level down and you'll have less chance of making a mess. Also don't forget to torque the pinch bolts properly. I'm assuming you have a service manual..

Last edited by monster715; 12-21-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by monster715
Just my worthless .02 but I would suggest saving the $40 and just taking off the wheel and fender. Your talking like 30 minutes max to remove everything on the front end. It takes me 30 and I have to screw with removing my fairing. If you remove the tubes you can get 100% of the oil out and you will get a more accurate measurement when you refill it. You don't really need anything to hold the tubes while you do this.

Loosen the top pinch bolt, and then crack the top cap loose. Then loosen the bottom pinch bolt and remove the tube. Put the slider on top of your shoe with a rag under it and spin the tube while holding the cap. Hold that cap tight because it could fly away on you ( don't put your face over it). Turn the tube upside down in a clean bucket and let the spacer, washer and spring fall out. Let it drain for a while. Clean everything up slide in the intiminator, push it down with the spring and fill the tube up (add until you think your slightly over where you want it. Again, put the slider on your shoe and pump the tube 6-7 times or until you don't hear air gurgling. Add a little more fluid. Now with the tube standing straight up use your measurement tool to suck it down to the right level. Then in go your spring, washer and spacer (trimmed to your sag) and you can slide it back into the tree. Snug up the bottom pinch bolt and reinstall your cap. Tighten upper pinch bolt and repeat for the other side. You don't really need anything to hold the tube, I completely took my slider assembly apart for power coat and I didn't have anything to hold the tube either .
Amen. Totally agree with this procedure.

Quick Reply: Installing Intiminators