Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Dyna model handling better then another?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default One Dyna model handling better then another?

I'm still looking for my first HD, pretty much narrowed it down to the Dyna line, and am wondering if any models have better handling then others. I've seen some wide glides with narrow front tires, with the fat bob on the other end of it. However the front controls on the FB I don't think lend themselves to better handling, by moving the center of gravity forward. Was planning on a used bike, but if the right deal can be had, a new one may be an option.

I've been riding for years. Currently have a bmw s1000r that I just can't get into. Not sure im keeping it, or trading it if I go new. I know no HD will have the handling of that bike, but I accept that. I still want to enjoy the twistys safely.

Any opinion on this?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Superglide and Street Bob have the least rake of the dynas which would give you slightly better handling. They both also have mid controls. Most people here on the forum who wanted better handling have also gone with improved suspension, including longer rear shocks.

At the top of the dyna forum go to the "search this forum" feature and type in "handling" or "improved handling" and you'll find lots of threads about what people have done.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Love riding my Fat Bob out here on the canyon roads in Colorado - never met a curve I didn't like...

Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
Love riding my Fat Bob out here on the canyon roads in Colorado - never met a curve I didn't like...
Good point. While the Fat Bob has slightly more rake than the SG or SB, it's got that 16" front wheel which really helps the handling.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:32 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,058 Likes on 11,069 Posts

IIRC, the Low Rider has increased rake which helps high speed stability.
My Super Glide handles fine but cornering (leaning) on all Dynas is limited by muffler and peg dragging.
My old BMW corners way better.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:58 PM
XKHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Low Rider has a rack of 30.5 the rest have a rack of the Dynas are at 29. The the Wide Glide has a rack of 34. The trail varies between all Dyna models.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by XKHemi
The Low Rider has a rack of 30.5 the rest have a rack of the Dynas are at 29. The the Wide Glide has a rack of 34. The trail varies between all Dyna models.

Yes, you're right about that. My mistake on the rake for the Fat Bob. That should be the best handling dyna.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a dealer that will let you test ride the different Dyna variants you're interested in. Then you'll know which you like best.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
ManniC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I'm still looking for my first HD, pretty much narrowed it down to the Dyna line, and am wondering if any models have better handling then others. I've seen some wide glides with narrow front tires, with the fat bob on the other end of it. However the front controls on the FB I don't think lend themselves to better handling, by moving the center of gravity forward. Was planning on a used bike, but if the right deal can be had, a new one may be an option.

I've been riding for years. Currently have a bmw s1000r that I just can't get into. Not sure im keeping it, or trading it if I go new. I know no HD will have the handling of that bike, but I accept that. I still want to enjoy the twistys safely.

Any opinion on this?

Thanks
I came from a BMW K1200R to a Fat Bob. Night and day different bikes. The only thing I am having a hard time with are the forward controls. Outside of that the power is fine for the city and highway, I had to relearn how to corner so that I would stop scraping. I love the Fat Bob, can be just as fun at 90 mph as the Beemer was at 160 mph, and in my opinion a lot prettier, and more fun to work on. I will be trying out floor boards this spring and see how that works for me. You can buy a Fat Bob and add center controls for less then 500 dollar, see if you can find an older bike that has mid controls at a dealer for a rental or test ride, then you will know how you feel about it.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ManniC
I came from a BMW K1200R to a Fat Bob. Night and day different bikes. The only thing I am having a hard time with are the forward controls. Outside of that the power is fine for the city and highway, I had to relearn how to corner so that I would stop scraping. I love the Fat Bob, can be just as fun at 90 mph as the Beemer was at 160 mph, and in my opinion a lot prettier, and more fun to work on. I will be trying out floor boards this spring and see how that works for me. You can buy a Fat Bob and add center controls for less then 500 dollar, see if you can find an older bike that has mid controls at a dealer for a rental or test ride, then you will know how you feel about it.

That's big. I didn't know you could add mid-controls on a fat bob. That's a big help, TY.

Quick Reply: One Dyna model handling better then another?