Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Ernst
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike won't start!

Not even 30 days after the 2yr warranty is up

Bike is a 2013 Street Bob with the 103. Battery connections have been checked and are GTG but battery has not been pulled to check level. Has no problem running lights and attempting to start; besides, this thing fired up just a couple days ago. PCV and accompanying spaghetti clusterfcuk of wiring all appear dry and happy, the PCV throws no error light.

Bike will begin to turn for a moment followed by a loud clicking/grinding sound from the primary. I'm thinking that the starter is not disengaging? I'd like to hear your thoughts. What can I do to fix this?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:24 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I would stop trying to crank it and pull the primary cover off and continue disassembling it as far as it takes to find out what is making the grinding/clunking noise and then go from there...

Old 12-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Ernst
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking I will pull the battery and make sure it's charged up (just in case a lack of juice is not allowing the starter to fully engage/disengage), and then if that doesn't do it, open up the primary and pull the starter... if I'm wrong someone stop me.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:53 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Time for a new battery. Do a load test on it but I've had a battery die in 2 years and others last 6 years. When they die if you hit start button the starter just continously clicks/grinds.

Last edited by golfblues; 12-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:23 PM
streetglide2011
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the cables grd and pos. then check the battery then I would check starter .... hope its a cable

Old 12-14-2014, 04:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how you would check the level that is a sealed battery. If it cranks and then sounds like a mini mag firing or something it could be the battery, but I have to agree with skinman, take it apart before you start to chew up parts.

Some dealers will help you out of warranty when it just ran out recently, but those a re rare gems indded. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernst
Not even 30 days after the 2yr warranty is up

Bike is a 2013 Street Bob with the 103. Battery connections have been checked and are GTG but battery has not been pulled to check level. Has no problem running lights and attempting to start; besides, this thing fired up just a couple days ago. PCV and accompanying spaghetti clusterfcuk of wiring all appear dry and happy, the PCV throws no error light.

Bike will begin to turn for a moment followed by a loud clicking/grinding sound from the primary. I'm thinking that the starter is not disengaging? I'd like to hear your thoughts. What can I do to fix this?
Sounds like a weak battery, pull it, charge it, load test. If it passes and the bike starts, check your charging system.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM
dmpjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
Sounds like a weak battery, pull it, charge it, load test. If it passes and the bike starts, check your charging system.
x2 Check battery 1st

Old 12-14-2014, 07:47 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Clicking sounds like a weak battery.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Time for a new battery. Do a load test on it but I've had a battery die in 2 years and others last 6 years. When they die if you hit start button the starter just continously clicks/grinds.
I agree...this happened to my 2012 Heritage. It was a bit less than 2 yrs. old and still covered under the warranty. I thought for sure it was gonna cost me some out of pocket money but the dealer replaced it at no charge.

It did the exact same thing you are describing with your bike.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start!