Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to stiffen front forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:24 AM
badbowtie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only weigh about 145 so weight is not the issue. It is supposed to be about 52 this afternoon so I am thinking I am going to go riding but I need to check fluid I guess first this morning. I am going to head over to google and see if I can find a wright up on checking the oil and how full it should be.
It is a 2010 and I just turned 1700 miles on it only had 1429 when I brought it home month ago. I wouldn't think it is time to flush fluid yet but If so I guess I could cruise over to Harley today and get oil If that is where I have to go.

Last edited by badbowtie; 12-26-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
OK, What's "sag"?

It might be this....

Or....It might be how far the suspension sags when you sit on the bike.
It sounds like you need to put longer spacers in the forks and while you're in there you might want to add some progressive or other higher performance springs.
Harley is well known for ridiculously soft springs.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:48 AM
badbowtie
Advanced

Well maybe I just ride today and in the next month or so plan to order progressive springs and just do it all then unless I find a easy way to check front oil with out complete dissemble.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by badbowtie
Well maybe I just ride today and in the next month or so plan to order progressive springs and just do it all then unless I find a easy way to check front oil with out complete dissemble.
Not a bad idea....Try these if you really want to make your forks work well.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/category_s/63.htm

Old 12-26-2014, 07:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,949 Likes on 21,312 Posts

Fork braces will take out the spongy sloppiness you may be feeling.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+harley&_frs=1

I had one on my softail and the brace definitely tightened up the front end, like a race car feel, and was much more responsive.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:41 AM
badbowtie
Advanced

I haven't done anything to front forks yet do to weather and not riding anyway. I am going to order progressive springs in the next couple days and what ever else I need to do the front forks. The ricor Intiminator for 179 are not out of the question but not sure exactly how they work or what they replace. Using the Intiminator's I am not sure if that is all I should change or not.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JohnMn
OK, What's "sag"?
It's how much the suspension squashes when sitting on the bike, compared with the total travel available. So if say total travel available is 3", then the convention is that the suspension should sag just one third, in other words in this case 1". That way we have 2" of travel to soak up bumps and 1" to deal with rebound. Sag is achieved by using springs with a suitable rate plus a degree of pre-load.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

They sell preload adjusters.
Or it's easy to add a spacer to stiffen the springs if you go that way.
Get two 1" or 3/4" pvc couplings from the hardware store. Cut them in 1/2 if you want to start with a smaller spacer. Put your bike on a jack so it's touching the floor but the suspension is unloaded. Unscrew the top cap. (careful it doesn't pop outta your hand, push down the last few threads.)Install spacer.
Sometimes it's easier to compress the spring & install the cap if you have picked up a large socket first. (instead of a crescent wrench) Don't cross thread the cap or tubes.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 AM
TheEssence
Intermediate

I just bought my first Harley and suspension was the first thing I looked into since I'm coming from sportbikes and trackdays. I know it won't handle like a sportbike, but there are some extremely inexpensive options to set up the suspension on these things. Ditto on a bunch of the responses already. Get some progressive rate springs. This will help with setting up proper rider sag, as well as help the bike absorb the smaller bumps well without sacrificing their integrity for the bigger bumps like you would with just adding a spacer on single rate springs. Throw a set of ricor intiminators or racetech gold valve emulators, and you've got a pretty decent, and cheap, front set up. I'm doing the ricors, progressive rate springs, and doing the whittlebeast (mod I read on xlforums site) rear shock mod for my suspension.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by TheEssence
Get some progressive rate springs.
They are usually generic, just like the stock springs, although the spring rate may be different. I suggest using single-rate springs, matched to your weight. They give more travel and better action. I have Emulators (with single-rate springs) in my Sporty and cannot recommend them, but have read many good reviews of the Intiminators on HDF.

Quick Reply: How to stiffen front forks