Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to stiffen front forks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
They are usually generic, just like the stock springs, although the spring rate may be different. I suggest using single-rate springs, matched to your weight. They give more travel and better action. I have Emulators (with single-rate springs) in my Sporty and cannot recommend them, but have read many good reviews of the Intiminators on HDF.
Curious as to your non recommendable thoughts on the Emulators.

I'm running Racetech single rate springs and Gold Valve Emulators on my FLD and thought it was a pretty good improvement. I still want to go back and play with spacers, oil level and Emulator adjustment though. Overall, better than stock with considerably less fork dive, better bump absorbtion and handling.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is a link to my thread about the install of the Ricor Intiminators, preload adjusters, setting sag, and springs. The thread includes additional links to the most comprehensive thread and explanation of them as well. Worth a read.

FWIW, you can start simply. Many people simply add the Intiminators cut their stock spacers until the sag is right and keep their stock springs. So with Intiminators, oil, and shipping you're looking at about $220. If you add some preload adjusters in there so that you don't have to constantly disassemble the shocks to get sag right add another $160 or so. Still, there is a chart listed within the thread that can help you get to about the right sag and spacer cutting in order to avoid preload adjusters if you wish.

Regular tools are all that's needed plus the measuring tool to get the oil level right (you can also make your own). Of course you'll need torque wrenches if you don't already have them, hex keys, etc.

Here's my link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...led-today.html

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by rauchman
Curious as to your non recommendable thoughts on the Emulators.

I'm running Racetech single rate springs and Gold Valve Emulators on my FLD and thought it was a pretty good improvement. I still want to go back and play with spacers, oil level and Emulator adjustment though. Overall, better than stock with considerably less fork dive, better bump absorbtion and handling.
Installing the springs with correct sag gave improved fork travel, because as new they sagged about 2/3rds of total travel and they now move more freely. However I cannot attribute any benefit to the Emulators, as I don't regard ride quality to be improved. The instructions for adjusting them are so vague, unless one is a suspension expert, that stripping the forks to remove and alter them, with no idea of what to do, isn't going to happen. They promise great improvements in their advertising, which it seems reasonable to expect, but in my case haven't delivered.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Installing the springs with correct sag gave improved fork travel, because as new they sagged about 2/3rds of total travel and they now move more freely. However I cannot attribute any benefit to the Emulators, as I don't regard ride quality to be improved. The instructions for adjusting them are so vague, unless one is a suspension expert, that stripping the forks to remove and alter them, with no idea of what to do, isn't going to happen. They promise great improvements in their advertising, which it seems reasonable to expect, but in my case haven't delivered.
Interesting. On retrospect, I'm not sure if I would rebuy the Emulators either. Like you, I'm not sure where the new spring effects stop and the Emulator effects are noticed. I do know this...it is a royal PITA to tear down the forks everytime I want to experiment with a new setting.

There is a thread by SquidHead where he bought an entire new cartridge setup (replaces the guts of the forks) that allow full on adjustment. I forget the name of the company, but I think they were associated with Ohlins, but an Italian company. And.....praise the fork gods, they have a setup for the proprietary forks of the FLD.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

There is a thread by SquidHead where he bought an entire new cartridge setup (replaces the guts of the forks) that allow full on adjustment. I forget the name of the company, but I think they were associated with Ohlins, but an Italian company. And.....praise the fork gods, they have a setup for the proprietary forks of the FLD.
I have had custom built Ohlins on my Glide for several years and am looking into their FKC101 cartridges as we speak - well write!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Bklim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 07 FXD and after installing new Progressive Springs the early diving was gone. A few other people also had good questions, Progressive also offers an heavy duty version of the new springs for heavier loads. If your weight is getting close to 250lbs, the heavy duty versions would be a good choice. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs and I'm on the edge of the standard/HD versions.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

I have had custom built Ohlins on my Glide for several years and am looking into their FKC101 cartridges as we speak - well write!
Jealous? - Yes, I am
Envious? - You betcha!

I can only imagine how great your bike must ride. Well done!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Jealous? - Yes, I am
Envious? - You betcha!

I can only imagine how great your bike must ride. Well done!
Rides very well at the rear! Phone Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal, he's our suspension guru and offers members discounts. He's due at Daytona I believe, if you happen to be there.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 PM
badbowtie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only weigh about 150 so I don't think I need the heavy duty ones but I am not sure who to even buy from and what kits I should look at. Please post a link of what I need would be great and anything else I need to do the swap. I just don't like how dive happy this thing is. I want to order some springs in the next day or two and going to decide on new tires in the next week or so I can be ready to ride here shortly once the weather breaks. I may go with m888's I think but that another search and more reading to make sure.

Last edited by badbowtie; 03-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Change the weight of fork oil, higher number will be stiffer.

Quick Reply: How to stiffen front forks