Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scavenger Oil Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Tailpipe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scavenger Oil Kit

Is the Scavenger Oil Change Kit by Rogue Chopper Worth the money?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:41 AM
sengle4
Cruiser
Default oil scavenger kit

I have one I use on my 09 streetglide. I'm happy with it but it does require a extra quart of oil for the change. Kit is very well made but a little pricey.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

If you have an oil tank yes. If you have an oil pan no need.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:33 PM
90fltcu
Advanced

My 90 fltcu was Flooded in sandy. I tried everything to get the water out of the motor. The problem was the oil drain plug is on the oil tank. The scavenger was my last attempt before I took it in for a rebuild. Three gallons of oil latter it was flushed. I also noticed that my oil stays cleaner. Just my 2cents

Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,480 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
If you have an oil tank yes. If you have an oil pan no need.
Why do you think that makes any difference?

It is a dry sump system regardless. The same amount of oil is in the bottom of the crankcase, whether it is a oil tank or oil pan system. The so called oil pan is nothing more than an oil tank the just happens to be located underneath the transmission.

However, I think it is a gizmo that is unnecessary in either case.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-02-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Do you scavange your car every time you change the oil? No. Why? Because unlike the tank that sits above the crankcase that drains from the tank, not the crankcase, the oil pan drains from below the crankcase therefore not leaving that extra qt or so like the tank system. Just like your car not all oil is always drained, hence why after a rebuild you add more oil before initial startup, but no where near the amount left like in a tank system to justify scavenging. My 103 is a wetsump system I would believe since I have no tank. Maybe I am missing something?

Last edited by slyedog; 01-02-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,480 Likes on 4,604 Posts

If you start the engine and warm it up before the oil is changed, the amount of oil in either bikes crankcase will be the same (about 4 ounces on every every engine I have torn down), unless of course the check ball has failed and the oil drains back.

Your 103 is a dry sump system (you do have an oil tank, it is mounted below the transmission), just like all Big Twins and Sportsters since the beginning of time.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-02-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a scavenger system that I use with my 09 FXDC 96" engine . To my way of thinking it is not a necessity that you scavenge that last 26-28 ounces of used oil from the engine but it also makes common sense to completely remove all the used dirty contaminated oil and replace it with all new oil. We would not buy a brand new bike or car from a manufacturer if they put 1/3 used oil into a brand new engine.

If the scavenger system were only around $25, most everyone would give it a try. Its the initial cost that makes some people talk against the system in order to justify not giving it a try. I personally bought mine from the HDF classifieds at a reduced price as I would not try it due to the initial cost. I thought about renting mine out to people to try the scavenger system.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:31 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Most people change their oil well before it's due. Seems like a double waste of money to me.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMyers
Most people change their oil well before it's due. Seems like a double waste of money to me.
Because the oil still gets nasty. I do oil changes every 5k and the scavenger still makes a difference in the oil color after first start up after the change. You can barely see the oil on the dip stick. You have to use the light reflection to see the level. Without using the scavenger you definitely notice the oil after the first start up. When I did use it religiously my oil would stay practically invisible for the first 1000-1500 miles before it started to show color.

OP I think it's worth it. I don't necessarily think its needed unless you do a lot of city driving I guess. I bought mine because I was bored and saw it surfing the net. I haven't used since I put short shots on because I'm not sure I can get the oil filler off. I'll try during the post winter oil change in a few months.

The following users liked this post:
santaclaws (03-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Scavenger Oil Kit