Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED replacement headlight 5 3/4 bucket installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Deguello68
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting Roger

Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile LED replacement headlight Bulb from Fuel Moto

I am also noticing that my bike starts easier with the LED head light. No hesitation. The conventional bulb must take more juice that I thought.

Now, all lights and turn signals and turn signal mirror and license plate light are LED. Every time I come home at night, I can't believe how much brighter the head light is. Even the over head highway signs light up.( Its main beam is lined up correctly). Good peripheral lighting. As you take a sharp turn the main beam is in the direction of the front wheel. But the peripheral lighting seems to be adequate, unlike with the regular bulb. Very white color.

Roger

Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by mirrmu
hi,

good stuff, did you get out for ride with it

And were you also able to get rubber dust protector back on?

thanks
mirrmu
You do not re install rubber dust protector.
Roger

Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 956 Likes on 456 Posts

I just put the FuelMoto one in my FXD headlight also. It fits, but just barely. Meaning, the end of the bulb (the part with the little fan) just touches the back of the headlight housing.

I didn't put this new bulb in the stock reflector though, I put it in this reflector http://store.candlepower.com/ca5quhahebun.html

I didn't see any need for more pictures as the brightness *IS* there, as noted in any other pictures already abounding. Can't wait to try it at night to see the difference it actually makes since I ride at night almost as much as the day.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile LED Head light 5 3/4 from Fuel Moto

Originally Posted by rogersachs
LED from Fuel Moto,
Update, I installed last night. Not to bad. Tight fit. Removed the tabs on the inner ring to make install easier. Light is much brighter at day and night compared to regular bulb or performance bulb. I also believe the beam is much wider.
The LEd bulb has its own fan. Quite nice.
Problem: because it draws such low voltage the Electrical system lamp stays on. I have not be able to find out how to turn off. Will have to call Jamie on Monday. Maybe some member can chime in with the fix.
So far very satisfied. See enclosed pictures. The first two are before. Also note I have LED turn signals from Custom Dynamics.
Roger
Just spoke to Brian the head tech for Jamie at Fuel Moto.
The manufacture is aware of the problem and is working on a fix- resistor type- 1.2 Volts. When developed they will inform . I can certainly live with the error code light on.
Also in a post from Snake, he suggest a better lens reflector from Candle Power -$45. I will wait on that till we have more reports. But to tell you the trueth, I think Harleys reflector lens is fine. I also noted that my bike is starting faster with much less drain from the conventional bulb.
Roger

Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile LED replacement Head light from Fuel Moto

Just spoke to Brian the head tech for Jamie at Fuel Moto. Great products and customer support.
The manufacture is aware of the problem and is working on a fix- resistor type- 1.2 Volts. When developed they will inform . I can certainly live with the error code light on.
Also in a post from Snake, he suggest a better lens reflector from Candle Power -$45. I will wait on that till we have more reports. But to tell you the trueth, I think Harleys reflector lens is fine. I also noted that my bike is starting faster with much less drain from the conventional bulb.
Roger

Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 956 Likes on 456 Posts

The reason I want to try a different from stock reflector is I believe the angles of the 'cuts' in the stock reflector (the stock the 'cuts' are on the shiny-side, the glass is smooth with no 'cuts') don't aim the light correctly or well. Even with decent bright halogen bulbs the stock reflector doesn't direct light wide enough or out far enough.

The reflector I got has the 'cuts' on the glass, not the inside shiny part - just like on a older model car or truck headlight (like a 4022, etc). Those headlights put the light out and to the sides really well so I figure why not give it a chance and see if it helps this LED bulb even more than just the bulb in the stock H-D reflector.

I just tried to get some pictures of it here at night, but they came out all blurry. I can say I like the whiteness of the bulb, and because I have my headlight pointing 'up' a little more than normal (so as to get the crappy halogen light to extend outward somewhat in low and high beams) this bulb and reflector need to be pointed back 'down' a little, because as it is the only difference I could see between high and low beam was the high beam put more light down, to the sides and up high, so it did no good for the 'reaching out' thing.

I'll report when I've adjusted the headlight down a tiny bit and see what happens.

Oh...and we'll have to get used to the fan in this LED bulb...it's a little noisy, but it's probably because I live out in the country where it's quiet as can be and you can hear a mosquito fart a quarter mile away, but if you pull into a quiet garage and turn the bike off by the 'on - off' switch (as you're supposed to) and the headlight remains 'on' until you turn the key off, you'll hear that little fan and it'll take a second or two to figure out WTF it is and where it's coming from, heh heh.

Last edited by tar_snake; 01-12-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile LED head light 5 3/4

Originally Posted by tar_snake
The reason I want to try a different from stock reflector is I believe the angles of the 'cuts' in the stock reflector (the stock the 'cuts' are on the shiny-side, the glass is smooth with no 'cuts') don't aim the light correctly or well. Even with decent bright halogen bulbs the stock reflector doesn't direct light wide enough or out far enough.

The reflector I got has the 'cuts' on the glass, not the inside shiny part - just like on a older model car or truck headlight (like a 4022, etc). Those headlights put the light out and to the sides really well so I figure why not give it a chance and see if it helps this LED bulb even more than just the bulb in the stock H-D reflector.

I just tried to get some pictures of it here at night, but they came out all blurry. I can say I like the whiteness of the bulb, and because I have my headlight pointing 'up' a little more than normal (so as to get the crappy halogen light to extend outward somewhat in low and high beams) this bulb and reflector need to be pointed back 'down' a little, because as it is the only difference I could see between high and low beam was the high beam put more light down, to the sides and up high, so it did no good for the 'reaching out' thing.

I'll report when I've adjusted the headlight down a tiny bit and see what happens.

Oh...and we'll have to get used to the fan in this LED bulb...it's a little noisy, but it's probably because I live out in the country where it's quiet as can be and you can hear a mosquito fart a quarter mile away, but if you pull into a quiet garage and turn the bike off by the 'on - off' switch (as you're supposed to) and the headlight remains 'on' until you turn the key off, you'll hear that little fan and it'll take a second or two to figure out WTF it is and where it's coming from, heh heh.
Tar,
I like your idea and if it works out may consider. But even tonight coming home, I was very impressed with the light. Seems quite wide. I made sure the main beam is exactly where I had the halogen bulb beam(I had previously marked a place on drive way and a spot on the garage door with the halogen bulb.) As I came into the garage( remembered to open door) I noticed it lit up the entire garage. I have no problem with the fan noise. Can hardly hear it. No mosquito's in our area of California--- just earth quakes.
Keep me in the loop.
Roger

Last edited by rogersachs; 01-12-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM
firecop9774
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I had my finger poised on the button for that bulb, but decided to go a different route. Got a 7" heritage bucket off ebay and ordered the truck-lite reflector/bulb assembly. Bucket is coming from the great white north, so it'll be a week before I see it, but I'll get the bulb on mon from Amazon. I was wondering about errors. My BMW S1000R doesn't throw an error with the HID kit i put in it, but I don't think it actually monitors the headlight. Odd since it will tell me everything else, including what I had for dinner the night before...

I'll prob start a new thread to report on the bulb/install.
Please do. I'm currently running a 7" Fat Boy headlight with stock bulb, and I am contemplating the Truck-lite LED. Would love your opinion before I drop the money. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

And what modification did you have to make to the spring clip that holds the bulb in?

Quick Reply: LED replacement headlight 5 3/4 bucket installed