Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-1 exhaust vs 2-2

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM
09dynafxd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-1 exhaust vs 2-2

I'm sure this has been discussed but after searching for awhile and not getting much on the dyna models I figured I would ask what's the overall consensus between the two? I have stock headers with V&H slip on but I'm considering the pro pipe and just want to know what preforms better? What do these motors like? Plan on a intake, tuner and full exhaust this year and am just trying to figure out what's the best bang for the buck.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

A 2 into 1 will pretty much always yield better results in streetable power, especially when it comes to torque. They take advantage of the reversion wave and aid in scavenging (pulling spent exhaust gases out of a cylinder) which allows for a more complete fill of the incoming fuel/air mix that is next to be burned.

Torque is where it's at, especially with these tractor engines of ours. If you don't quite grasp the difference between torque and horsepower, the best explanation I've ever heard is "Torque is what gets you moving. Horsepower is what keeps you moving." Even that explanation is technically flawed if anyone wants to pick it apart but it's the easiest to understand that I've come across and is definitely "close enough."

I don't know your level of expertise, so I'm not trying to talk "down" to you, just trying to help. Best of luck going forward, whichever way you decide to go.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I've had both 2-2 and 2-1 systems and like both. You will always get a deeper/better sound with any full system vs just slip-ons, and a stage 1 AC, tune, and full pipe will wake up your bike nicely. Beyond that a 2-1 will give you better performance as Dan said but not anything particularly huge "seat of the pants" wise with a stock motor in my experience. The more you buildup the motor the more you'll get out of it. 2-1 also has a slightly different sound vs the individual pulse of a 2-2.

If you plan on leaving the motor alone aside from a basic stage 1, I'd say just go with the sound and look/style you prefer as the performance enhancement will be fairly minimal.

Last edited by Thingfish; 01-14-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM
09dynafxd
Advanced

I plan on cams, Big bore later, I know the tq is what I'm looking for as far as rideability, it's nice to pick up both hp and tq but mainly worried about the tq. The way I always look at it is if I was worried about the high revving hp I would have bought a rocket

Old 01-14-2015, 02:42 PM
unclericky
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Get what you want. Call me old school, but Harleys only look right with duals. 2-1 always remind me of these bikes. I remember when honda copied Harley. Now, people try to make Harleys look Japanese?

Last edited by unclericky; 01-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking for performance, the 2-1 will out perform the 2-2. This is especially true when you start adding cams, a big bore conversion, and head work. I would add that in my personal opinion, a 2-1 looks much better on a Dyna. A 2-2 may look better on some baggers but to my eye, a 2-2 looks out of place on a Dyna.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by 09dynafxd
I plan on cams, Big bore later, I know the tq is what I'm looking for as far as rideability, it's nice to pick up both hp and tq but mainly worried about the tq. The way I always look at it is if I was worried about the high revving hp I would have bought a rocket
You will have tq either way. Our motors are all about tq. You have gobs of tq right now. With the mods you're planning a 2-1 should give you a little more oomph and maximize your build output with a good dyno tune, but it will be no slouch with a 2-2 either.

I have a V&H Pro Pipe on my '92 cammed FXR and it is a great pipe. I also like my Big Shots on my '09 Fat Bob. Both are solid performers and have different characteristics.

Putting that kind of money into a motor for me would mean I'd want every ounce of return I could muster which a 2-1 will help you get and most tuners have an easier time dialing in.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclericky
Get what you want. Call me old school, but Harleys only look right with duals. 2-1 always remind me of these bikes. I remember when honda copied Harley. Now, people try to make Harleys look Japanese?
But i do agree. I dont much like a 2/1 system for looks. And the folks that claim the make better what ever it is show me the gains to prove there that freaking awesome.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 PM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by latrobedyna
But i do agree. I dont much like a 2/1 system for looks. And the folks that claim the make better what ever it is show me the gains to prove there that freaking awesome.
There are tons of side by side comparisons out there. Google is your friend. Proper exhaust sizing and tuning are key ingredients to any performance build. Bigger and/or louder is not always better.

On this particular day, my bike made 93 horsepower and 97 lb/ft of torque with the Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1, set up with 21 disks and a closed end cap. With 24 disks, it made 95 hp and 95 tq. With 18 disks, it made 91 hp and 99 tq. I opted to run the 21 disks for the "middle of the road" on hp and tq. This shows us that even minor changes in exhaust tuning can make noticeable differences in hp and tq.

Notice how "flat" the torque curve is, straight across the board. I built it to make usable power everywhere, as opposed to making a bigger peak number across a very narrow RPM range.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21 disk and a closed end cap i love it if you could explain to me how free flowing that is. The trick is tuning the motor to run properly the way it is set up. them super trap gizmos don't make sense to me.Way i see them is. Ya want to make more power choke the dang pipe with closed end caps and screw up the flow with silly disk. Sorry dude i don't buy that stuff it simply defies simple physics. But i give Super Trap credit they have figured out a way to sell a stupid idea to many many folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2-1 exhaust vs 2-2