Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 charging issue

Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

When my bike had the issue they told all was fine. I had them ride the bike for a half hour until the light came on so that they could see the issue occur. They then replaced the stator and regulator and claimed that the pins between the regulator and stator were burnt causing the issue.

Mine bench tested fine when tested as stated in the manual as I did it myself before I took it to the dealer. It has been perfect since replacing both items and it has been over 10k miles.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,510 Likes on 3,769 Posts

Hogpro, are you talking about the no charge light? I had not read anywhere that this was what agove's is doing.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Started right up this morning, rode for about an hour and a half after work to make sure it's not getting per charged. If she fires in the morning I think I'll be in the clear.

I really didn't want to think it was a battery after going through 2. I thought that megaboost would have been just fine. Ran them in my old metric with no problems a few years back. Never again.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

This past summer, I had a recurring intermittent problem with a 1 year old voltage regulator purchased and installed at a dealer (warranty work)...never got a light or anything, just would not crank after getting gas one afternoon in the middle of a 175 mile ride. Got it going and rode to the closest dealer (I lucked up, Geo HD in Angleton, Texas, was just a few miles down the road) and they tested it and could not find any problems. It happened again a few weeks later and I could not find anything wrong at first but I kept digging and retesting until I caught the charging voltage below 13 volts one time. My local dealer told me about the intermittent problems they were having with some voltage regulators and replaced it even though they could not verify the problem since it had been in just over a year. No problems since.

Last edited by skinman13; 01-29-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Hogpro, are you talking about the no charge light? I had not read anywhere that this was what agove's is doing.
On my bike I would ride for about 30 minutes on the highway and then when I stopped and was idling at a long traffic light the battery light would come on and the voltage drop to 10 or 11. Once I started moving continuously it would usually go off eventually.

If I started it and rode a few miles it would be fine but I have a relatively long commute. It seemed to happen more when it was warm out as well (90+) than when it was cool like it is in the winter.

On several occasions I pulled my seat and tightened the battery cables mid ride(which were already pretty tight) and it went away. I tested as per the manual for the voltage regulator and stator. Both tested fine when tested with the bike hot or cold. The battery tested fine and never gave any indication of being low. I ride daily and put it on the tender nightly.

The dealer kept telling me "everything is fine" to which I told them to ride the bike for 30 minutes so that they could see this happen at which point they decided to investigate a little bit further.

Since the plugs between the stator and voltage regulator were burnt they replaced both. They had to send the warranty parts back to Harley to get their warranty money but I asked to visually inspect them and they were already gone.

I get more out of seeing something than having some service assistant tell me what the issue was. Regardless, it was fixed under warranty and the issue has not returned.

The blame was initially laid on my "aftermarket amp" which I had been running for at least 10k miles without an issue. What I have learned in trying to deal with Harley on warranty work is that they have a tendency to blame any item on the bike that is not a factory Harley part.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,510 Likes on 3,769 Posts

What could be wrong with your biggest, baddest-*** **** stereo amplifier 10,000-watt Warhorse from Kicker. The WX 10000.1 weighs a hefty 67 pounds, and that 10kW power stream is enough to slam-dunk subwoofers with its highly refined power........

Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a Power vision check to see that you have ACR checked - automatic compression releases on. Also you mentioned once sitting for a while it's difficult to start. Could this be sumping? Those of you with knowledge of this please chime in. How's the oil level look after its sitting?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I realized I never said what it turned out to be. It was the damn battery. Do not buy an aftermarket battery. Get it from harley. 2 cycle gear batteries and I almost shotgunned a 120 dollar regulator at it. Harley battery's been on for a month or two now with no problems.