Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new to me 01 FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:05 PM
K33b
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjo3491
Like the Pearl. Little elbow grease and it'l look really nice! Agree, those slip on's need to go!
Well for now they are just getting replaced with some Python 3 slip ons that we happen to have, but I will eventually try to get ahold of a nice 2-1. My buddy with the FXR has the Bassani Road Rage, and it sounds mean as hell, but its also a pretty penny.

I love the sound and look of a blacked out T-Header, but have read too much about it cracking and such, that I am steered away from that.

Dont know much about the V&H Propipe, but I dont think they offer it in black.

I have got some homework to do before settling on which one I want.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 AM
K33b
Intermediate

Ok, question for those that may be able to help. I want to switch out to some 8" or 10" T bars. I know the stock brake line is too short for the 10" bars, but what about the 8"? I've got a new brake line setup from Bikers Choice, SS braided lines I'm about to put on.

If 8" is still too long, does anyone know where I can buy just the top line in longer lengths to go with my SS braided setup? I mean the splitter and lower lines, should be able to be left untouched right? I dont want to have to buy a whole new setup.

I have searched and searched on here, but I cant find any definitive answers concerning my dual brake front setup. Thanks in advance for any who can help.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 709 Likes on 326 Posts

I've gone as tall at 10" off the top tree with stock lines just moved and repositioned on Dynas. Goodrich, Barnett, Magnum shielding all make lines with replaceable upper portions so you can tailor your line to your bar height.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I see nothing but possibilities with that bike! Nice find!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

That's one of the coolest things about Harleys. Regardless of the year, they are all unique, yet good looking, and are a blank canvas for creating the bike that is YOURS ALONE. Enjoy and share pics as changes are made. tp

Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

trust me you're going to love that bike!!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:30 AM
jackafrica
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Before you change too much, see how you like riding the bike.
The FXDX is surprisingly accommodating in the comfort department.
Hope it all works out with the bars. For measuring, use a piece of thin rope if you're in doubt.
Love the full stop period after HD in the tank lettering.
I think it might be the only model where they used a period after the name.

cheers,
richo

2001 fxdx

Last edited by jackafrica; 01-28-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 PM
K33b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jackafrica
Before you change too much, see how you like riding the bike.
The FXDX is surprisingly accommodating in the comfort department.
Hope it all works out with the bars. For measuring, use a piece of thin rope if you're in doubt.
Well I'm coming off of some pretty big bikes, that were setup for comfort. I had 14" apes on my Yami Roadstar, and even my VTX1800 before that had high rise drag bars. I'm just used to having my hands at about shoulder level.

I've got a set of black 12" burly narrow apes leftover that never wound up on my old 1200S, but I dont think thats the direction that I want to go with this one. I still want the hands up some, so I dont have to really lean down into the bars, but I think the T-bars will give me more control (or maybe just the illusion thereof). As for the Ness fairing, I want something to keep the wind off my chest, and I will admit I do like that particular style. Its a love it or hate it thing on here, I know.

The bike came with a full sized windshield on it, that I couldnt bring myself to leave on. Its fugly. Even though my Roadie had a shield on it, it was setup alot more like a Heritage Softie, so it just looked right.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 PM
jackafrica
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As you've had a pair of metric cruisers, you know what comfort is like. You'll loathe the rear shocks on there now by comparison.
Good move on losing the full size windshield!

Think of where T-bars will sit in relation to the stockers, do they (the ones you're considering) have any pull back compared to the originals? You may find yourself leaning forward. The stock bars should have you upright and are pulled back a little from straight up.
Riding position on stock bars could be considered straight with no forward lean.
This link might well be a help http://cycle-ergo.com/

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 AM
K33b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jackafrica
As you've had a pair of metric cruisers, you know what comfort is like. You'll loathe the rear shocks on there now by comparison.
Good move on losing the full size windshield!

Think of where T-bars will sit in relation to the stockers, do they (the ones you're considering) have any pull back compared to the originals? You may find yourself leaning forward. The stock bars should have you upright and are pulled back a little from straight up.
Riding position on stock bars could be considered straight with no forward lean.
This link might well be a help http://cycle-ergo.com/
Great link, very informative. Thanks. Are you reffering the the progressives that are on it? Honestly yeah, I have had quite a few big comfy bikes, but It got to the point that they were boring. I got this to re-enjoy riding again. I just turned 30 and I found myself getting spoiled by my Grandpa like bike. Dont get me wrong, two wheels is two wheels, and I love baggers, plan on going back to them one day, but I found that the bike I regretted getting rid of the most, was my fun little Sportster 1200S. Probably would still have it, but too small for me and the missus. This is just right for both of us.

Quick Reply: My new to me 01 FXDX