Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!! Battery dying while riding...

Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
hdbikergreg
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help!!! Battery dying while riding...

NEVER disconnect either battery cable while engine is running as a spark can make toast of the volt pac.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts
Default RE: Need Help!!! Battery dying while riding...

take the seat off, gain access to the battery posts, positive and negative (or use the bolt on the frame being used as a ground point).perform the stator voltage test and continuity test pin to pin,if the stator passes continuity then perform voltage test from stator while bike is running (use information found in electrical & lightingforum) shut down bike, plug in regulator to stator if stator checked good, start bike check for voltage (dc) at positve post and ground while bike is running, idle voltage should be around 13.1- 13.4 vdc and above 2000 rpm voltage should be around 14.2-14.5 vdc. if stator checked good and voltage to battery didn't then change out regulator, recommend cycle electric regulator. be sure check the aforementioned forum for other help.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 PM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My apologies for not sharing the solution here. Thanks to all the members who originally posted helpful info.

Hard to believe this thread is 9 years old already.

Received a PM from a member who found this thread after using the search feature. Hat is tipped for using the search feature and not immediately creating a new thread.

I ended up replacing both the voltage regulator and stator as I was preparing for a long solo ride and did not want to be stranded. Never tracked down which one was the root of the problem, but after replacing both items, I never had another issue w/ the bikes charging system.

Last edited by SKT; 03-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by SKT

My apologies for not sharing the solution here. Thanks to all the members who originally posted helpful info.

Received a PM from a member who found this thread after using the search feature. Hat is tipped for using the search feature and not immediately creating a new thread.

I ended up replacing both the voltage regulator and stator as I was preparing for a long solo ride and did not want to be stranded. Never tracked down which one was the root of the problem, but after replacing both items, I never had another issue w/ the bikes charging system.
Thank-you

Finally...Some sleep tonight

Old 04-14-2024, 03:25 PM
Hugges
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dying while riding.

Originally Posted by SKT
I own a '99 Superglide Sport (FXDX). It has 16,000 miles on it, no aftermarket engine work doneor extra lights, etc. The other day-without notice it started backfiring, then the gauges started doing a bunch of random stuff. Eventually (approx. 2 mins. of backfiring) it shut off, and would not start. I was out riding in the middle of nowhere, so I had one of my riding buddies push start me, and it started; however it only ran for a few more minutes then died. Another buddy of mine had just enough tools in his toolbag to swap out batteries with me and sure enough that did the trick (his battery worked in my bike, and mine didn't work in his).

After getting a brand new battery, the bike ran great for an hour or so, then started the same thing again. I checked all of the connections, grounds, battery terminals, etc. and all appear to be connected, tight, and free of debris.

If I put a charge on the battery it will only run for a short bit (30-50 minutes) then start backfiring, eventually shutting off.

Sorry for the longer post-I just wanted to put enough details to pinpoint the problem. I have also tried searching the forum for answers; however, I cannot find an issue similar to mine.

Thanks ahead of time for all of the help. I will also post whatever the solution that works turns out to be!
Did you ever find out what was causing your problem? I’m having the identical issue my dyna low rider backfiring and all.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:47 PM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugges
Did you ever find out what was causing your problem? I’m having the identical issue my dyna low rider backfiring and all.
Originally Posted by SKT

Cheers for another 8 year bump!

17 years and counting…

Old 04-14-2024, 05:46 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 793 Likes on 571 Posts

Some topics are timeless...

The following users liked this post:
SKT (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 07:36 PM
Harley_ish
Road Captain
Received 418 Likes on 272 Posts

Wow ... just Wow

At least tell the last "bumper" to read post# 13 for the first time or more carefully if the second time