Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Blocks with 11.5 shocks... anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 AM
moto465
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 Wide Glide.

1" Lowering blocks, air shocks aired down and 200 tire. No rubbing. Also, no wires under the fender. Shocks are 9.75 fully compressed.

I think you will be fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
What air ride set up will you be going for? The only thing I was thinking if you go the DIY route maybe get the shocks now and run them without the compressor.....? You can find them online for about the same price as blocks. Then you can purchase the other pieces later, but have shocks you can adjust to your liking now. Just a thought. It won't do much good if you are going with one of the kits though. Last time I priced blocks they ranged in price quite a bit. Have you picked any out yet?
I'm assuming you don't have your original shocks any more? If you do, you can always purchase the blocks and if it is too low, throw your originals back on?
Well, I see so many different reviews on the DIY and on other done setups like Arnott. I have a hard time even taking very many peoples opinions into aspect since they're so far from each other alot of the time it just comes down to ones liking and/or how judgemental that person is. I'm very handy at fabrication and things like that aren't an issue for me so the DIY does sound very appealing. Just wondering about the ride quality between the two. Seen a thread just the other day about the monroes breaking and ride quality blah blah blah. But $200ish opposed to an easy grand is a huge difference in cost to start weighing out the differences though. I didn't even think about installing just the shocks minus the compressor and keeping it simple for the mean time. That's actually a great idea and moving towards the build of the DIY system as the end result. I like the idea of that alot.

Yes, I do have my OEM shocks still. They're laying in a box hidden from all eyesight while preventing those harmful chrome rays from doing anyone retinal damage lol.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
The ride probably won't be much worse than stock...
I realize the actual measurement of the blocks and the advertised drop will be different. I think you would be fine with 1" blocks. The Monroe air shocks people use for the air ride have a compressed length of 9 3/4". The fender still cleared my tire at full compress. The fender just hit the belt guard, but that was the only problem I could find. I've got an 11 SB so things might be different. I don't know what, if any, changes were made to the suspension.
Wow that is short so yeah that actual does shed some light on the subject. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by moto465
2010 Wide Glide.

1" Lowering blocks, air shocks aired down and 200 tire. No rubbing. Also, no wires under the fender. Shocks are 9.75 fully compressed.

I think you will be fine.
This is the dead ringer right here. Someone has done it without rubbing. Thanks!

P.S. That's a real nice lookin bike.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:43 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
Well, I see so many different reviews on the DIY and on other done setups like Arnott. I have a hard time even taking very many peoples opinions into aspect since they're so far from each other alot of the time it just comes down to ones liking and/or how judgemental that person is. I'm very handy at fabrication and things like that aren't an issue for me so the DIY does sound very appealing. Just wondering about the ride quality between the two. Seen a thread just the other day about the monroes breaking and ride quality blah blah blah. But $200ish opposed to an easy grand is a huge difference in cost to start weighing out the differences though. I didn't even think about installing just the shocks minus the compressor and keeping it simple for the mean time. That's actually a great idea and moving towards the build of the DIY system as the end result. I like the idea of that alot.

Yes, I do have my OEM shocks still. They're laying in a box hidden from all eyesight while preventing those harmful chrome rays from doing anyone retinal damage lol.

I don't think anyone would complain about the ride quality of the Monroe's. They do have a lifetime warranty if you are worried about them breaking. I know that is not much reassurance though. I know my local auto parts store would take them back for exchange or refund because of the warranty.

I hear ya about the chrome...damn shiny stuff!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You most likely will not have a problem as long as you ride solo. 2 up, I bet cha a coke that it bottoms out.
The lowering block will make the shocks softer so bottoming will be easier 2 up.

200 mm rear tire? Factory rim?
What kind of mileage do you get with it?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
You most likely will not have a problem as long as you ride solo. 2 up, I bet cha a coke that it bottoms out.
The lowering block will make the shocks softer so bottoming will be easier 2 up.

200 mm rear tire? Factory rim?
What kind of mileage do you get with it?
I understand how the shock geometry works. I run my progressives on the softest setting with just me and stiffened up one reference mark when my wife is on back. I only weigh 165lbs so I'm not too worried about it. My shocks have A LONG way to go to up the preload. But I'm still now leaning towards just buying the monroes and get them on there without the compressor for now and see if I even like the ride. One piece towards the "kit" and just as inexpensive as lower blocks anyways, so it's a win win trial type of thing. After I get a new fairing, bars and a few other goodies I'll jump back on the air ride mod and finish that up if I like it.