Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Fork Rebuild

So I'm putting new fork springs in on my 11 Street Bob. One of the deals is leaking a bit so I figured might as well do it at the same time. I've got the seal rebuild kits from Harley, springs, and fluid.
Anything I should know or tips someone can throw my way? Should I buy a seal driver or make my own?
Much appreciated!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
So I'm putting new fork springs in on my 11 Street Bob. One of the deals is leaking a bit so I figured might as well do it at the same time. I've got the seal rebuild kits from Harley, springs, and fluid.
Anything I should know or tips someone can throw my way? Should I buy a seal driver or make my own?
Much appreciated!
2" sch40 PVC works great to drive the seals in. There's a video on YouTube where a guy is installing chrome sliders that goes over the procedure. You'll need a long 12mm socket for the seat pipe bolt and the axle cap bolts are metric as well. I don't remember what size but standard Allen bits will strip the heads out

Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by monster715
2" sch40 PVC works great to drive the seals in. There's a video on YouTube where a guy is installing chrome sliders that goes over the procedure. You'll need a long 12mm socket for the seat pipe bolt and the axle cap bolts are metric as well. I don't remember what size but standard Allen bits will strip the heads out
This is what he's referring to. Everything you need to know:

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to use new copper washers on the bolts at the base of the fork tubes. They will leak and can not be reused. They are under like $1 for the pair anyway. Ask me how I know.

Perhaps as mentioned, the axle cap is metric and has a front and back position. The thick end goes to the rear and the front will still show a small gap even when fully torqued. Thats per the FSM.

Last edited by Mr Bentwrench; 01-28-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

So I need metric allen wrenches then? I've got at least 1 set of metric, maybe even 2.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
Don't forget to use new copper washers on the bolts at the base of the fork tubes. They will leak and can not be reused. They are under like $1 for the pair anyway. Ask me how I know.

Perhaps as mentioned, the axle cap is metric and has a front and back position. The thick end goes to the rear and the front will still show a small gap even when fully torqued. Thats per the FSM.

Thanks! The washers are included in the rebuild kits I got from the dealer. They even have a new bolt. Pretty much what's in the pic but HD brand.
I'm glad you mentioned that axle cap part....I think that would have messed with me!

Attached Thumbnails Fork Rebuild-shopping-2-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Matt for finding the videos! They are really detailed.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:37 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Thanks Matt for finding the videos! They are really detailed.
You're welcome. Good luck. When I took the dust covers off mine they were basically rusted on. Ruined them getting them off.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
You're welcome. Good luck. When I took the dust covers off mine they were basically rusted on. Ruined them getting them off.
That's a good point. Get a brass drift to knock them off. Mine were a bitch too, be prepared to buy new dust covers

Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

That's a good point. Get a brass drift to knock them off. Mine were a bitch too, be prepared to buy new dust covers
Tried the brass drift for over an hour then got out my giant bearing splitter. Clamped that down tight around the covers, smacked it with the deadblow and off they came. Bad design if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Fork Rebuild