Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob questions for a newbie

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM
mainewoodsballer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob questions for a newbie

Hey everyone. Brand new member here. Selling my crotch rocket and looking to get a Harley. Hate chrome and large bikes, so I love the Street Bob at first glance though I like the look of a bigger rear tire.

I have read that you can fit a 180 rear tire on the bob with no issues and not needing the wide tire kit. I understand all 180s will Measure different. My question is with a larger tire on the back, to fill out the fender, is that going to be an issue if I'm riding 2 up?
I don't have a bob yet, but wondering if it's been an issue for people who ride 2 up with a fatter tire. Is there anything in there that can puncture the tire if you bottom out with 2 people? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mainewoodsballer
Hey everyone. Brand new member here. Selling my crotch rocket and looking to get a Harley. Hate chrome and large bikes, so I love the Street Bob at first glance though I like the look of a bigger rear tire.

I have read that you can fit a 180 rear tire on the bob with no issues and not needing the wide tire kit. I understand all 180s will Measure different. My question is with a larger tire on the back, to fill out the fender, is that going to be an issue if I'm riding 2 up?
I don't have a bob yet, but wondering if it's been an issue for people who ride 2 up with a fatter tire. Is there anything in there that can puncture the tire if you bottom out with 2 people? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
No issues. Alot of people go to the 180 on the stock rear wheel..

Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Might want a wider wheel if going to a 180, stock wheel is narrow and will make a 180 tire crown. I'd feel a lot better running a 170 on the rear than a 180 with the stock width wheel. But a 180 should fit without a problem.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM
mainewoodsballer
Intermediate

Anyone have pics of a 170 vs 180 on that bike? Someone said the Pirelli night dragon 180 is actually a little small for a 180. Wondering If that would be the one to get. It's for a 4.5 in rim/wheel which is what the bob has.

As long as I can get a bigger tire with no clearance issues (even with 2 riders) I will def get a street bob soon.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

As long as you don't lower it you'll be fine.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM
03geetee
Cruiser

180 all day works fine.

If you slam it you will have issues, or are heavy and ride 2up. Just use common sense and you will be ok.

JTR

Old 01-29-2015, 09:57 AM
mainewoodsballer
Intermediate

What's up under the fender besides wires that the tire would bottom out on that could cause an issue? Any bolts or anything?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Geez this is getting almost as opinionated as an oil thread. Funny part is this is not about opinion rather than it is facts...

Your tire is not going to contact your fender with stock shocks nor lowering shocks. The travel on the shocks is not greater than you have room to travel over the tire. Your shock will bottom out before your tire will no matter if you have 10 people on your bike... the shock will just bottom out. I promise. Do a little searching on here. There is lot's of guys running 180's on 4.5" wheels WITHOUT problems spite what is being said. There is actually another thread right now floating on the first page of the general section that will prove this. The bike that is standing out in my mind he posted he's running a 18x5.5 with a 200mm tire dropped on air bags. Ask him about it. He posted 4 or 5 comments down...

Here's the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...treet-bob.html

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mainewoodsballer
What's up under the fender besides wires that the tire would bottom out on that could cause an issue? Any bolts or anything?
Wiring harness for the rear section is split (one on each side for the integrated tail lights/brake light) so they're out of the way. The factory has them tucked in pretty nice actually.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
mainewoodsballer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
Geez this is getting almost as opinionated as an oil thread. Funny part is this is not about opinion rather than it is facts...

Your tire is not going to contact your fender with stock shocks nor lowering shocks. The travel on the shocks is not greater than you have room to travel over the tire. Your shock will bottom out before your tire will no matter if you have 10 people on your bike... the shock will just bottom out. I promise. Do a little searching on here. There is lot's of guys running 180's on 4.5" wheels WITHOUT problems spite what is being said. There is actually another thread right now floating on the first page of the general section that will prove this. The bike that is standing out in my mind he posted he's running a 18x5.5 with a 200mm tire dropped on air bags. Ask him about it. He posted 4 or 5 comments down...

Here's the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...treet-bob.html
Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Bob questions for a newbie