Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bars, semi-step by step late model bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 AM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks Stres, yeah some type of mental block when doing anything that seems electrical for me. Hey which saddlebags are those?
just the cheapest the stealer had, http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...her-saddlebags

Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Thanks for the write up dude. I'm about at this threshold. Well...I'm scared of this threshold actually, but I'm stuck thinking about it. Bars, grips, throttles, internal wiring, maybe some micro switches...I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want to screw up anything, but like yours are helping me out. Thanks for taking the time to post it all up. Fingers crossed I'll make it to the other side like you did. Looks great!
I'll tell you what, if you did even half of the mods on your bike (which looks great by the way) you'd be fine. I think even if I had had to de-pin, or extend my wiring that it would have added to the experience (and in the end probably would have taken as much time lol). Certainly easier than in a touring model where you're probably talking 30+ wires. Definitely something almost artistic in doing all this type of work.

If it helps in any way, up until this past December I didn't even own a toolset or shop manual. And while I don't think I would trust myself pulling an engine or transmission out yet, the list of stuff that I would have never thought of doing myself is shrinking fast. Thanks in large part to some incredibly helpful people here.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by STRES
Another nice write-up thanks robby, if i decide to pull the trigger on the R6C bars i will use this for reference. do you happen to have a link to the throttle adjustment videos? i just installed new turn signal extension caps and putting the cables back on was a bitch!! i must have been either skipping a step or i am just really dense....
thanks again
stres
Forgot to attach the link.

This is the video I liked most for both grips and throttle adjustment. My AC cover is clear so I had an unobstructed view of the throttle body opening and closing.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Nice lil write up..I can never find the time to do
em.Gotta say though my mind went south when i seen the beads.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks robby. I did do it myself, but it's mostly backyard painting and tweaks. Nothing with wires or controls or connectors or lots of tools....yet ....You're giving me hope!

Old 02-03-2015, 03:32 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Good looking bars and a great post. Thanks!

I like the drag bars on my Fat Bob myself, but I'd quite like them to be black - so maybe I'll need to take them off and change them out at some point.

When I did the bar end LED indicators on my bike, I used a bit of stiff but flexible garden wire (perimeter wire for a robotic lawnmower) to pull the cables through and it worked really well.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:40 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the kind words, I definitely like the look of the drag bars whether one piece or on risers. But also liked the mini apes.

Good idea with the garden wire!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Forgot to attach the link.

This is the video I liked most for both grips and throttle adjustment. My AC cover is clear so I had an unobstructed view of the throttle body opening and closing.

How to Install Grips & Adjust the Throttle on a 2013 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe - YouTube
thanks for the video....so yea i am dense and skipped a step haha well it's knowledge for next time i mess with it either new grips or bars etc. thanks Robby!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by STRES
thanks for the video....so yea i am dense and skipped a step haha well it's knowledge for next time i mess with it either new grips or bars etc. thanks Robby!
No worries, I know the feeling!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Blowing string through the bars with air works good too.

Quick Reply: New bars, semi-step by step late model bike