Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bars, semi-step by step late model bike

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
Well, as impatient as I am, I decided to gently pull the harness out (right side) just a little more... Pop, off came the engine cutoff harness. Its a single wire with its own little connector. Because I have ABS, it ended getting wrapped around the wheel sensor wire. At that point I ended up lifting the tank a couple inches (without any disconnections) and fished the harnesses out from under the spine. from what I can see, it looks like de-pinning may not be necessary. After getting the harnesses out, I can now see how going up to, or just past 14" is possible.
LOL, sorry I just read your post. Yeah they are obviously a few more inches back, sorry that you had the one pop out on you. I never had to lift the tank at all but obviously no big deal if you have to. I've heard of some people making it to 14 inches and some that could not. If you are able to you may still need to re-route a couple of cables. I think the wiring can handle it, but pushing the limits of clutch and throttle lines.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey, it isn't your fault, but appreciate the sympathy! Actually, It looks like everything went well.... I hope! Like i said, I am impatient, so I ended up doing 90% of the work before I originally intended. I had to do a lot of running around yesterday, but managed to get the new bars mounted, and really just need to get everything back together at this point.

Thanks for your help Robbyville!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM
chasenfins
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up, gonna try mine out myself this weekend hopefully.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:01 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice write up! One of these days....

Something I saw in a magazine is if you want to use string (kite string, garden twine, etc.) you can use a shop vac to pull it through to the other side of the bars.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:45 PM
ThrottleTwister
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Robbyville, Great info on bar swap ALSO what kind and where did you get your bags

Hey Robbyville,
Great info on bar swap I have been looking at the same 8" pullback drag bars for my 2014 Street Bob.
My bars now are drag bars on straight 5 inch risers. (see attached)
I want them a little higher and need more pullback.
I'll be using your post as the bible for my install in 5 or 6 weeks when I get back
ALSO what kind and where did you get your bags.
Was this a hard install???
I am a newbie to this forum and the most mechanical things I've done lately is oil changes and removing wheels to fix flats.
Thanks,
TT

Attached Thumbnails New bars, semi-step by step late model bike-fxdb-1-copy.jpg   New bars, semi-step by step late model bike-fxdb-4.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 01:25 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThrottleTwister
Hey Robbyville,
Great info on bar swap I have been looking at the same 8" pullback drag bars for my 2014 Street Bob.
My bars now are drag bars on straight 5 inch risers. (see attached)
I want them a little higher and need more pullback.
I'll be using your post as the bible for my install in 5 or 6 weeks when I get back
ALSO what kind and where did you get your bags.
Was this a hard install???
I am a newbie to this forum and the most mechanical things I've done lately is oil changes and removing wheels to fix flats.
Thanks,
TT
Hi TT,

First, sorry for the delay in my response, just happened to see your post. Welcome to the forum and I'm happy that you will find my thread useful. I try to document everything I do since a year ago I didn't even have a set of tools and wanted to show folks that with the right information a lot of our servicing can be done by even those less mechanically inclined!

Your bike is beautiful, congrats and ride safely and often.

To your question, the bags are from a company called Leather Pro's, Garry has an incredible reputation around here and I couldn't be happier with the bags. As you spend more time here just search the company name and you'll see what I mean.

The installation required me to also relocate my turn signals and license plate. Not hard at all and here is a link to that thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...o-install.html

Have fun!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:19 AM
chiefy305
Cruiser

thanks robby... this is great... i have a 15 bob and im doing my bar swap tomorrow... if i dont have to depin and not remove tank your the next best thing to bud lite lime!!!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:40 PM
chiefy305
Cruiser

swap was flawless thanks

Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chiefy305
swap was flawless thanks
Great to hear thanks for the post and my apologies for not seeing it earlier. I'm really happy to know that these posts make life easier for some.

Have fun and be safe!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 PM
greenbob207
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using this as a guide when I install my new bars this week, thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New bars, semi-step by step late model bike