Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go to the Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 AM
golferguy
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Should I go to the Wide Glide

Greetings all. I should have titled this Really Wanting a Wide Glide, but I am still questioning the move.

I started riding in 2012. At over 50yrs old, both my wife and I took the HD Riders Edge class. I had never ridden a motorcycle before. We both were hooked and started looking for bikes. I literally drooled over the Wide Glide while browsing the catalog and looking at the bikes on the showroom floor. I read a lot of bike reviews and talked myself out of getting the WG and bought a Sportster 1200 Custom for the following reasons:
1) the 2013 1200 has the big front tire. Recearch led me to believe it would be easier - more stable to ride. Never been on anything other than the Buell for the class
2) Price. I needed to buy 2 bikes and I wanted to pay in cash. I looked at some used bikes but couldn't find one that was a good deal. Purchased a new 2013 in the fall of 2012. I got my wife a Honda Rebel 250 which she rode for confidence then upgraded her to a HD SuperLow.
3) Inexperience factor. I just didn't feel jumping on the WG to start made sense. I rented the 1200 and if fit me well and I enjoyed riding it.

Fast forward to now. I am still an inexperienced rider with only 3600 miles on a bike. I feel confident in my skills and on this bike, but I keep looking at the damn Wide Glide. Size and weight wise it is not that much bigger - compared to moving to a touring bike. I wanted it from the start and now thinking of trading for one.

My riding preference is back roads. I enjoy the 45 - 55mph 2 lanes to just cruise. I enjoy the twisties and relaxed riding

Can anyone give me perspective on the handling of this bike and possibly what it would be like from moving up from my Sportster? I have to believe the longer rake/wheelbase and skinny tire would make a difference. I will probably try to rent/demo a Wide Glide in the spring, but I would like to get some honest opinions from the experts.
Thanks. Bob

Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have owned quite a few bikes and ridden many more; nothing compares to the joy I get on my Wide Glide! The long rake takes a bit to get use to on slow turns but is easy to get use to with some practice. Sure this is a biased statment; but I say go for it, you wont regret it!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts
Default I agree

The Wide Glide can be a bit of a cow in slow speed maneuvers. It takes awhile to get used too. Test ride a Fat Bob also,. They handle better at slow speeds.
I might add that I have a 2013 WG. Every time I'm on it I get a stupid smile on my face and end up late for work!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM
unclericky
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

If you get off looking at it, wait until you ride one! Everybody told me not to get one because the Wide Glide handled terribly.
Guess what? These same guys can't hang with me on the twisties. Not saying other bikes don't handle well, but coolness and the handling of the Wide Glide will keep a smile on your face. Mine also handles just fine at slow speeds. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 AM
airman1952
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2005 XL1200C to a 2014 Wide Glide. I'll never look back. The Sportster was a lot of fun, but the Wide Glide is that much more fun and looks good! Slow speed handling is a different feeling at first. But, you will get used to it fairly quickly. The Dyna feels more stable than the Sporster out on the open road, and the 103 is a blast to roll on.
Yes, I'm biased, too.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

As others have said the Wideglide feels a little different (wobbly) at very low speeds. But that goes away very quickly and the bike handles better than most are capable of realizing. And also due to the Longest wheelbase of any of the HD's it rides extremely well.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 AM
FXDWG2011
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It seems that it's all been said already, however I'll add my two pennies. I took the riders course through HD and then purchased my first bike just four years ago…. after sitting on the Wide Glide I just knew. Some said that it was too much bike for a first timer, so I said okay, and then began to really enjoy life. Do what feels right to you and enjoy your new journey.

Viva en el Viento !!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM
golferguy
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback

Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say if the Wide Glide fits then that is the bike you should have. I waited 30 years to get one and my only regret was waiting that long. I did not care for the pizza cutter tire so I put a wider rim and tire on the front and no more do the tar snakes bother me. Ride on and enjoy! The Wide Glide is the only bike for me.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Golferguy, my wife started riding about the same time you did, and she handles our Wideglide and our Rocker just fine (both have about 35 degrees of rake).

I've been riding for a lot longer, have owned a bunch of different bikes, and think the Wideglide handles fine.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-04-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I go to the Wide Glide