Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 FXRS loss of power cutting out. Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Chasingcoffins33
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FXRS loss of power cutting out. Help?!

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am in need of advice.
I have a 92 FXRS. I will be riding along everything will be running/ working as it should then all of a sudden the bike will cut out, lose power and bog down. The headlight and gauges will dim, the gas gauge needle will drop and the bike will want to stall. If I twist the throttle the bike will surge back to life and run for another 30 seconds then repeat its self. It's happend about 3 times in the past 6 months. The last time it happens it left me stranded about an hour from home.
I've replaced the ignition module(happend before and after replacing it) I've replaced the ignition switch. I've replaced the motor to frame ground strap. I've checked almost every wire on the bike for exposed wire. I've checked the battery connections. I feel it's not a fuel issue due to the fact my lights and gauges will drop/dim. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm at the point of pulling my hair out trying to track down this problem...

Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Assuming you checked the fuses and relays to make sure you have good contacts. You don't think it's fuel but if the filter is clogged or you have dirt in the carb it makes the motor bog down. It may act like an electrical draw since the revs are too low.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what you have described it sounds electrical. Do a full charging system diagnostic check (check at operating temp also). A quick check, open up the primary(bike needs to be level supported off the kick/jiffy stand, if not primary fluid will spill out) and if you smell a strong burnt smell more than likely the stator has gone bad or the clutch is burned(you would know if its the clutch by it slipping), check the primary fluid to make sure its at the correct level.

More info on the bike all stock/any modifications/service history?

If you dont have a service manual get one, worth every penny. You will also need a volt/ohm meter for the charging system check. If you dont feel comfortable working on your bike find someone in your area that is a competent motorcycle mechanic.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM
coachstorms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a new coil.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Test your coil, check your petcock