Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Bar Speedo bracket - revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default T-Bar Speedo bracket - revisited...

A while back, I came across a thread about a member here who had a custom speedo bracket fabricated to go on his T-bars on his '08 FXD (I have the same year and model) . It was a real nice solution, and he was generous enough to give me the cad drawings he used, and referred me to the machine shop that built it. As it happens, the shop no longer wants to make it, so that left me a little high and dry...

So I found "emachineshop.com" which will fab parts using an application you download. I started with his design:

And built a rough model using the emachineshop application.

Then I thought the indicators may be a little hard to see forward of the bars, since my plan was to have the bracket more to the top of the T, as opposed to how his is. So I modified it a bit.

It uses a cup and bottom cover from a drag specialties T-Bar bracket, which is pretty damn close to what I wanted, only it has no provision for the stock indicator light unit, which these do.

So now I have to make a mockup out of cardboard or something to see how it fits and clears the tank, but I think this may work. Of course, nothing I ever come up with is cheap... The two parts (there is a top bracket I didn't show) made from 6061 will come out to about $500, which I think is a little expensive, but what do I know. And of course I'll have to have them chromed, so who the hell knows what that will cost...

But I like it, and it will solve the "where the hell to mount the indicator lights on a T-Bar" question.

If anyone has CAD/Machining experience, please offer any suggestions I may not be thinking of.

Once I go forward with it, I'll follow up with photos. God help me if a measurement is a mm off!

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Blockheadjack (05-12-2020)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

There's Tbar gauge brackets out there for around $100

Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by emerican19
There's Tbar gauge brackets out there for around $100
Well then I must be an idiot, cause I've looked everywhere, and not one has the indicator lights. Perhaps you could point me towards what you have seen?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Accutronix tbar clamp and the sportster single gauge mount. Pretty much what you have there but 2 pieces and way less money

Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by monster715
Accutronix tbar clamp and the sportster single gauge mount. Pretty much what you have there but 2 pieces and way less money
Yeah, but as in your sig photo, it goes forward of the bars. I want something like the new breakout, where the gauge is rear of the bars... But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Quinn Fortin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accutronix clamp method

saw another guy reverse the clamp so the gauge sits how you want it.. Prolly the way I'm gonna go on my 48

Old 03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Bountyhunter2099
Cruiser

I had my 99 FXDX set up with a solo gauge and bracket. I don't remember the brand, but I mounted it upside down in front of the bars and it worked, and looked fine, imo. My bars weren't real tall and the gauge just barely passed over the tank.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Quinn Fortin
Stage II

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/686048-new-bars-risers.html
This is what I'm talkin about

Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Quinn Fortin
saw another guy reverse the clamp so the gauge sits how you want it.. Prolly the way I'm gonna go on my 48
Problem with that is the Harley speedo mount:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...er-bracket-kit

...are angled in such a way that the speedo would be angled incorrectly if mounted to rear of the bars vs. forward. Unless you're referring to a different bracket I'm not familiar with. But I've done a hell of a lot of searching. The closest thing is the drag specialities single gauge bracket, which leaves the missing indicator light problem.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-03-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Quinn Fortin
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/686048-new-bars-risers.html
This is what I'm talkin about
Hmm, I like it, if it came in a single gauge version. But I can't tell if it has the lights...

Quick Reply: T-Bar Speedo bracket - revisited...