Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Air Fuel Ratio.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 PM
kjackson07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Air Fuel Ratio.

The new fuel injected bikes are designed to run efficiently and clean. I think there would be more mechanical problems from not running in the desired range designed by a multi-billion dollar corporation. I am gonna do a right up for my search for the correct air/fuel ration on a 96 inch Dyna Street Bob. The following write up will have links to a google spreadsheet which I have done all of my tuning from. These are free for anyone to use and compare to their own, I will remind you though that if you feel that you are experienced enough and understand all of the different variables that play into this drastic of a change I am not responsible for any damages done (everyones setup is different therefore; everyones tune should be different).

Copy to my personal tunes.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

There are tabs accross the bottom of the spreadsheet which allow you to change to different tunes. The stock config is of course the first one which is what all my data is based off of. I ran the stock config with Vance Hines Slip-ONS, stock air cleaner, and stock engine.

My new setup is Vance Hines Pro Pipe, Roland Sands Turbine Air Cleaner, personal -.20 tune (in blue on google sheet) and now screaming eagle regular compression plugs and screaming eagle plug wires (orange of course because I love black and orange). I would like to add that I have rode other bikes than a Harley and I am no way a true Harley hardcore enthusiast. I purchased a Harley because there are a million aftermarket parts for it and how your bikes looks is just a matter of being resourceful and patient (money plays into it as well).

Honestly I expected a 2 MPG change when I did this change and I was skeptical of the "AUTO TUNE" on the FP3 FuelPak but I decided to try it on a ride and see how it turned out. No matter how I rode or what conditions I was under I average 40 MPG which is a -8 change on MPG. I was very dissapointed at this time and decided to take things into my own hands. Having a somewhat basic understanding of chemistry and how stoichiometric rates play into how efficient these new bikes run and taking the original tune and comparing it to what my "AUTO TUNE" session generated I made my own.

I didn't pull -.20 out of my *** I look in respect to the original tune in the lowest section and then compared to what the FuelPak told me my decel/idle fuel ratio should be and boom 14.55 - 14.35 = .20. Then I took the average of all 204 cells of data from the stock tune and came up with 13.93 then averaged the new 204 cells of data and came up with 13.73. The overal change (13.73/13.93)*100 = 98.56% subtract that from 100% and you arrive at a total change of 1.44%.

That is not much of a change but it is working out well for me at the moment. I went from 48 MPG with fairing and bags to 50 on this last run with no fairing and no bags. The plugs looked pristine and the bike had never ran better, also did a scrope on the cylinder itself with a camera and there were no signs of damage or change after 130 mile run. From looking at my google sheets you can see that I am a statistics nut .

I will keep posting on changes since I ran with the stock plugs with 14,000 miles on them for the 130 mile trip and now I am changing to the screaming eagle plug and wires.

I will post more photos after this (Limite of 5 don't know if its based on size or number).

Attached Thumbnails Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-bfr_change1.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-bfr_change2.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-drg_change.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-aft_change1.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-aft_change2.jpg  

Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM
kjackson07
Novice
Default More Pics

These are more pics of the transformation / changes can't wait until I can ride again.

Attached Thumbnails Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-aft_change3.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-bddy_lowes.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-rear_plug1.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-rear_plug2.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-front_plug1.jpg  

Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
kjackson07
Novice
Default More Pics / Ice

These are few extras that I thought was cool. It includes the iced over road we have been dealing with here in Arkansas for about a week now.

Attached Thumbnails Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-front_plug2.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-snow_ice.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Very nice, I also ran a few auto tune runs with my bike and can't get over 40mpg at the moment with a stage 1 and auto tunning. But it does run pretty good right now, except it won't get over 40mpg since I've done my stage 1, but its also been cold for 95% of the riding since it put it on and driving easy or like a race bike it doesn't affect mpg hardly.

Given I've got a 103, I don't expect 50mpg, but mid 40's would be great. I've gotten 48.5 once when it was 100% stock. So I think 42mpg is easily attainable with proper tuning. I'll be playing with my tune more. Any heat issues? I think some tuners try to keep temps a little cooler with a rich AFR.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 02-19-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 PM
kjackson07
Novice

The twin cam egines have always been known for running hot I took the temperature while in stock configuration and it wasn't uncommon on a 90+ degree day that it would be over 230. With the cold weather it is running similar if not the same to what it was before around the 200 mark. Most would say that my rear cylinder is too lean but the rear cylinder also runs a little bit more warm due to air flow constriction ETC.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't seen anything wrong with any of your plug/tune pics. They look spot on. And just like mine! with a 107 and PV.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I know nothing about tuning or VFR tables so this is pretty cool. Which of the tabs (if any) represents the first canned map you did with the FP3, or if not represented, do any of these tabs have the first autotune you did prior to any of your own manual manipulation? I'm curious as to how different those were from where you found your sweet spot to be.

thanks for posting!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM
kjackson07
Novice
Default Auto Tune

There isn't a tab on the sheets that represent the Auto Tune feature because the Fuel Pak FP3 really didn't differentiate very much from the 14.35 # which is why I averaged 40 MPG no matter what type of regular riding I was doing. I talked with 2 or three vance and hines personal about the changes and they would not confirm or deny my fuel maps. They simply suggested using the "AUTO TUNE" which I was not impressed with. I have only been able to ride twice with my current fuel map and have hit my mark on estimated fuel mileage both instances.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
kjackson07
Novice
Default Auto Tune1

These are the pics that I had on my tablet which I use for tuning. I had forgotten I took screen shots to work from. This is what the AUTO TUNE mapped at.

Attached Thumbnails Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-screenshot_2015-02-11-18-20-36.jpg   Correct Air Fuel Ratio.-screenshot_2015-02-11-18-20-43.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Very cool thanks!

Quick Reply: Correct Air Fuel Ratio.